Chapter 36

"Can't you just make them fight each other?" Runyu asked with the slightest hint of amusement as another attacker replaced the man he just stabbed through the heart.

"Too much energy. I need to save my magic," she answered, sweeping her swords out and catching the necks of the nearest soldiers before they fell in heaps next to her.

She returned to her position against his back as they moved through the chaotic waves of attacking soldiers, her eyes alert and senses heightened as she reached out and beckoned her tears. 

"Can you see Gu?" he asked before a small grunt of exertion sounded behind her and the clank of swords signaled another attack.

"Not yet. Can you see your Brother?" she asked as her leg kicked out, catching the charging soldier in the stomach before swiping her sword down as he hunched over.

"He's still on horseback. I can see him. Liuying is with him," he stated before another grunt and clank heralded more engagement.

"Good, that's good," she panted out before both swords hit their next targets, their bodies moving together through the throng.

"Traitor," one soldier spat as his sword narrowly missed her shoulder, causing her to spin before Runyu's sword connected with the man's stomach. She crouched down, crossing both swords against his neck and swiping out before straightening. 

"Come," she heard before her wrist was grasped and her arm tugged as Runyu began running. The fighting groups were split surrounding them, leaving a wide path strewn with bodies, the ground drenched in their blood.

Pockets of fighting men surrounded them, some turning to focus their attention on her, causing her to briefly rethink the attire she chose. Both she and Runyu stood out from the rest of the darker uniforms, yet their once white robes were now splattered and smeared with fresh blood. 

One sword struck out, countering the one aimed for her heart, twisting and turning the soldier's sword until it flew from his hand and plunged into another man's heart. Her eyes gave a quick glance to ensure the other soldier was from the opposing side before her satisfied expression turned to the man kneeling next to her with a glassy-eyed, blank stare. Runyu pulled his sword from the man's chest before grasping her arm once again.

This time, he pulled her flush with his body, sweeping his arm out while incanting a transport spell.

Her view changed to the dark coat of a horse's neck as he gave her a quick, affectionate squeeze before releasing her. 

Xufeng looked down and dismounted immediately, the Heavenly Realm soldiers surrounding them on all sides automatically, fighting back the swelling numbers of opposing soldiers. A few other officers remained on horseback. 

"We need to drive them back through the mountain pass," she started. "Can you close in your outer flanks and push them through?" she asked to which he gave a quick nod and a shouted orders to the mounted men. "As soon as you have them in position, your men need to retreat as quickly as possible. You'll know when. The air will ripple and and the ground will start to shake, they need to be as far away from that mountain as possible," she said quickly, noting the confusion etched on their faces.

"I don't have time to explain it," she stated before her eyes cast to the mountains before them. "Do your archers have fuel? The trees on the mountainside are dry and most of them are dead. If you can set this side of the mountain on fire, we can trap them on the other side," she added. "What you see is only half of their Army. The rest are waiting for word to attack on the other side of the mountain."

"Will they come through the pass?" he asked.

"I was hoping, but I doubt it. I think he would have them spread out and wait near the top of the mountain on the other side and use the trees to shield them as they advance on this side," she answered. "I wanted to make another pass to see where they're assembled, but I drained myself too quickly and some of their arrows found their target. I'm sorry," she apologized, her arm grasped by his and a serious expression crossed his face.