Chapter 3

She surveyed the Servant's quarters once more, looking for any speck of dust that might have been missed and finding nothing. 

The floors had been swept and mopped, the wood gleaming. The bedding was already aired out and the beds remade. The laundry was hanging on a line behind the quarters. The buckets near the rear of the large room were emptied and fresh water now resided within them. 

It was still another hour before she would be required to retrieve lunch and tea from the kitchens and her tasks were already complete. 

It wasn't nearly as hard as farm work. She was quick and thorough and now, utterly bored. 

Several of the pillows on the beds were in need of mending, as well as a few blankets, she had noticed earlier. Although it wasn't on the list of tasks, it would at least fill the time.

She turned toward the door, surely someone in this Realm could assist her in finding some thread and a needle.

As she walked, she couldn't help but notice the few people she encountered staring at her openly before averting their eyes when they made contact with hers. 

Servants bustled from Palace to Palace, carrying food, laundry, and other items as others walked leisurely in fine dress, seemingly unaware of the workers around them.

Immortals, fairies...who knew what they did all day. It had to be a tedious existence, she surmised as she scanned for a servant that wasn't rushing around.

A man in light blue robes was walking carefully, balancing a teapot and cups on an ornate tray, heading for the entrance of one of the Palaces lining either side of the common walkway. She diverted her course toward him.

"Sir! Sir!" she started as she neared. He stopped and tipped his head, perusing her.

"Hello. Could you tell me where I could find a needle and thread?"

He scanned her from head to toe and back up to her face.

"To take in your uniform? You're practically swimming in that thing," he stated critically.

"No. Not for me, although...you do have a point," she responded, holding her arms out and looking down on the excess fabric before looking up at him.

"Seamstress Quarters. Down this walkway, to the end, turn left and over the bridge," he said with a slight jerk of his head in the direction behind him.

"Thank you."

"You're new here," he commented as she stepped aside to let him pass.

"I am," she turned to see him looking at her carefully.

"Which Palace?"

"None. The servants quarters."

"Oh..." he seemed to consider for a moment. "I've heard about you," he stated in a hushed tone.

"Yes. I'm sure everyone has heard by now," she muttered.

"They say it was the most sensational assembly at Qiwu Palace, at least in the last six centuries," he whispered after looking around.

"I'm sure it was. I'll be paying for it for the next hundred years," she whispered back and it caused a small smile to appear on his face.

"Word of advice. Stay away from the Emperor. He never shows his anger or any emotion, really. Well, at least since -" he started but ended abruptly. "A very long time," he finally finished, but she could tell that was not what he wanted to say.