Chapter 39

"Fate. You horrible, rotten, creature," she spat as she stared at the woman playing Go with Dan Zhu. 

Every place she roamed, every person she helped was somehow connected to her past.

"What special torment that was. To make me see those places. It's a good thing my powers are gone, I would eliminate you on the spot," she forced out in a cool tone.

Dan Zhu stood up, catching her attention. "I'll get more wine," he stated before turning to wander from the table. 

She wanted so badly for him to see her she realized as she watched him walk away. 

Her softened eyes hardened as she returned her gaze to the woman still seated. 

"How could you do that to me? You are an evil, unkind woman, Yuan Ji, and I will never forgive you," she grated out. 

The other woman only stared at the pieces on the board, obviously not aware of her presence, causing her anger to flare before she removed herself from the scene.

Yuan Ji's eyes cast to the side. 

"How could I do that to you?" she asked in a barely heard whisper. 

"Because this is your fate," she added with a knowing grin.

*****

"What are you doing?" she asked as she watched him. He was sweeping the gems in a small pouch from the table, no incense burned, no candles lit before the engraved tablet. The one with her name on it... 

"You can't...why are you doing this?" she asked in desperation as she attempted to stop his hands. 

A small sigh escaped him as the last of her tears fell within the confines of the fabric bag. 

"I'm sorry, Annchi," he whispered as he looked at the bag wistfully. "It's time to let you go," he added with a sad smile before turning. 

"What? Wait! I'm right here! Wait!" she yelled, sweeping through him with no effect. "Are you giving up on me? For her?" 

She ran after him, passing through him and turning, her arms out, hands splayed as he continued to walk. 

"Stop. Think about this! I gave you a sign. I pushed her away! That was me! Are you not even the slightest bit curious about that?" she yelled as he walked through her again. 

"Ugh! Fickle man!" she forced out, following after him.

*****

"Don't put those there, why are you putting those there? You should keep them close to you," she stated as he sprinkled her tears over her grave.  They disappeared as soon as they hit the ground.

When he finished, he stepped back and dropped to his knees, bending at the waist and kowtowing to the grave. 

"Forgive me."

"Forgive you for what? Abandoning me? Is that what's happening here?" she asked as she stood above him.

"I love you. I will always love you. My heart will never be complete. What would you have me do?" he asked softly as he stared at her tablet.

"Wait for me! Wait forever! I am horribly selfish!" she exclaimed, kneeling next to him. "You are not allowed to move on. I forbid it," she ordered.

He slowly pushed to standing, staring at the engraved tablet for a few moments before turning. 

She stared after him, helpless, tiny sparkling gems falling to the ground surrounding her.