Chapter 15

"You have to tell me," she stood firm on the request, her eyes penetrating the man before her.

"I cannot. My request is for His Highness only," the Fairy before her said resolutely.

"Well then, I cannot admit you. His Highness has been very busy today, visitors have been numerous and he has instructed me to only admit the most serious and important issues. If you cannot tell me, then I suppose you shall have to wait until a day he is more...amiable."

"And when would that be?" the man asked with an arched brow.

"Probably never," she muttered before pursing her lips and giving a shrug.

Every day was worse than the next. His irritability seemed to increase the longer she worked for him. Nothing was ever quite right. His tea was cold, his food was bland, his ink wasn't ground enough, his bed was not made properly, his robes were wrinkled. Whatever was causing this needed to stop before she finally snapped and strangled the miserable man.

"My request is of a personal nature. Very personal," he emphasized, "But one that would benefit many men in this Realm and perhaps even the Emperor himself," he added as he leaned in toward her.

She leaned back in response.

"This sounds intriguing," she started. "But not enough to send you through. I apologize," she finished bluntly.

"But...you must let me through! His answer will be a simple yes or no. It requires practically no thought whatsoever!" he exclaimed, his ample cheeks starting to turn pink in his large face.

"Well, if it is that simple, it should be relatively easy for you to convey it to me," she answered.

"I...can't! You're a...woman. A woman wouldn't understand. They never do..." he trailed off.

"I am no ordinary woman, Sir. I only hear facts and I consider them without emotion, I assure you."

"But -"

"Tell me what this request is and I promise you, no matter what it is, I will admit you for an audience with his Highness," she promised, her interest sudden piqued by this man.

He stood for a while, shifting his weight from foot to foot, clasping and unclasping his hands as small sweat beads started to form on his forehead. A long deep breath in was followed by a powerful whoosh out of his mouth.

"Very well," he stated.

*****

Runyu looked up from his scroll, his agitated sigh echoing in the cavernous room as the Fairy approached, his hopeful expression and reddened cheeks a small mystery. The bigger mystery was why Annchi was following behind him with the most delighted took on her face.

"What is it?" he asked, looking from the bowing man to his un-bowing assistant and back again.

"This is good. You must hear this request, Your Highness," she said with a bright smile that momentarily caused him to forget this strange situation and focus on her.

His eyes blinked hard twice to clear his mind before he shifted his glance to the heavy set man next to her.

"What is it?"

Silence.

A few more moments passed as she watched the Emperor's face begin to harden and a look of annoyance to appear.

"Tell him," she ordered with a small swat to the man's arm.

"I...umm," the Fairy started, sweat beads beginning to form once again, she noticed.