Chapter 29

"I feel fine!" he insisted. "We need to get back. It should be dark out now and it's still bright. See?" Runyu stated, pointing beyond the open window.

Annchi's eyes swept toward the window before settling back on the man seated on the bed before her. 

She stared at him for a moment, studying his face as her mind warred within itself.

Was he hiding something? Was he oblivious? Perhaps the two arrows wouldn't match and his brother was truly innocent. Even if they did match, Xufeng could have killed her easily while she was distracted earlier and yet, he did not...

She took a deep breath and let it out in a controlled sigh. 

"I'll transport us back," she finally stated.

"Annchi," Xufeng started, causing her to shift her gaze toward him. "May I have a word with you?" he indicated the door with a nod of his head.

"Whatever you want to say to her, you can say it in front of me," Runyu stated as he stood up quickly, his body faltering slightly before he grabbed onto the post of the bed.

"This has nothing to do with you. Sit back down before you fall over," he commanded as he stepped toward the door and opened it, waiting for her.

She eyed him cautiously, sparing a glance at the Emperor before her feet stepped foward slowly. 

"Annchi," Runyu started before she shushed him.

"I'll be right back," she assured him, looking at his brother as she walked through the doorway. 

Whatever it was that he didn't want to reveal in front of his brother was intriguing, she thought as she wandered further from the home before turning toward him.

"I have a...request," Xufeng started in a low tone as he stepped closer.

"Yes?" she asked expectantly.

"It's Jinmi. Your tears seem to have healing power and I wonder if you could help her."

"What's wrong with her?" she asked.

"Her eyes. She cannot discern colors. She...well, it's a bit of a long story," he breathed out. "Let's just say she gave that up to save me and now, if there is any way that you could possibly help her, I would be forever in your debt," he finished, his facial expression and voice sincere.

"Mmm," she considered as she studied the man in front of her. Could he really be so bold as to kill her and then ask for a favor?

"I don't know," she answered truthfully. "She did save me and I do owe her, that's true," she started. "But at the same time, these...gifts I seem to have...I know nothing of them. I honestly don't know my own capabilities. I fear I could blind her entirely or I could succeed and save her sight. It's a risk I'm not sure I'm willing to take. May I think about this? Perhaps when I feel more...confident, I could try?" she asked.

He gave a slight nod, disappointment etched on his features.

"May I ask you a question?" 

He nodded quickly.

"The Emperor told me you have been searching this Realm for any information regarding my origins. Have you found anything?"

"Nothing documented. Although the name Bai Long seems to strike unreasonable fear in the eyes of some of the Elders here."

"How so?"

"Well, appears that name was used as a threat, something their parents would use to keep them in line -"