Chapter 8

The sharp pain in her back woke her as her body naturally shifted to laying on its side during rest. Sleeping on her stomach was foreign to her, but there was no possible way to sleep in any other position, unfortunately. A long moan of pain escaped her lips as she attempted to sit up.

The numbing properties of the salve had clearly been exhausted during her nap. A nap which had to have lasted hours, based on the darkness she viewed beyond her windows.

Her eyes scanned her room, a few lit candles casting muted, flickering light, revealing a tea pot and a cup and some covered bowls on her small table. They must of been brought by Gua or one of the servants.

A quick smile at their thoughtfulness quickly turned into a sharp hiss as she moved to the edge of the bed to sit up. She was still dressed in her filthy uniform, the dried blood on the fabric sticking to the skin at her waist. She should have changed, and would have, but the salve numbed her back enough that she fell asleep as soon as it took effect. 

She stood up, surprised at the strength her legs displayed as she walked toward the thin white gown folded on her chair. 

Her fingers probed the sash at her waist, drawing back as soon as they touched the fabric.

She turned her palms up to view the angry, red slashes. 

She carefully touched the sash again, pulling with the least injured fingers until it opened, but it did not fall to the ground. She bit down on her bottom lip, peeling it from her waist and removing the undergarments with it. 

The thin, white gown was loose around her waist, the neck high enough for modesty, but the material was not substantial enough to scratch her skin. She placed her feet into her slippers, eyeing the robe the Emperor provided earlier with distaste. It was heavy, but she would have to cover with it to walk to the pond Gua mentioned earlier.

Food and tea could wait.

*****

Where is she? he thought as he reversed his invisibility spell and stood in the center of her small room. Food and tea were set on her small table, her soiled uniform lay heaped on the floor and her bedding was mussed, but she was gone.

Runyu turned to view her small space, the shelves empty except for a finely woven basket filled with fragrant fruit. No doubt a gift from the Floral Realm, he thought as he recalled her walking with it after her visit.

 He resisted the urge to grab a peach, a luxury in this Realm for sure. The fruit they received lacked the perfection of anything the Floral Realm produced. 

He stepped through the door, back to the hard ground surrounding the building, sudden guilt causing him to sweep his arm and revive the thick, green grass he was responsible for removing earlier in his anger. 

It was certainly a small token, but from her reaction to losing it, her appreciation would be immeasurable, he thought. The sudden kindness he bestowed would be a mystery to him, but it was done. 

Now...where would she be? 

He raised his chin, sweeping his palms toward his face, the scent faint, but present. The further he walked from her residence, the stronger it became.  Before long, he found himself at the end of the long walkway between Palace entrances, turning toward the massive structure housing the kitchens. 

It was late, the kitchens were surely closed as everyone was sleeping. The Realm seemed deserted and a small trickle of alarm ran down his spine. Was she lying earlier? Was she sneaking around in the night looking for things to steal?