Chapter 44

IZZY

My breath caught in the back of my throat. I was about to reply when I felt emptiness. She was gone.

I brought my legs up to my chest and let out a sob. Tears blurred my vision. My face got hot, and I let out a sob a little louder. Right after I did it I regretted it. Minho, Newt, and Tommy came running to me.

"Izzy, are you okay?" Tommy asked worried.

I brought my face up from my knees, "I am... but Cam's not."

Minho's eyes widened, "What? What do you mean?"

"She's.... She's... gone," After I said the last word, I started sobbing again, "I did this to her. I basically killed her."

Newt bent down, and I leaned my head on his shoulder. Tommy came and sat on my other side and rubbed my back.

"No, you didn't, Iz. Don't say that," Tommy said.

"But it's true! She told me in my head! She said that I did this to her!" I screamed before I sobbed on Newt's shoulder again.

I looked over to Minho. He was crying. His face was red and under his eyes were puffy.

"Minho-" I put a hand on his shoulder, but he pushed it off.

"This is all my fault," He got up and put a hand on his forehead, "The last thing I did was break up with her, and now, she's probably dead in the maze."

"Minho, this isn't your fault okay?" Tommy said.

"It's mine," I whispered.

Minho sighed, "Stop being so hard on yourself, Izzy."

I smiled, "I will if you promise not to be so hard on yourself."

He put a hand over his heart, "I promise."

I smile and wipe the tears off of my cheeks.

"Hey, I hate to rain on your parade, but we need to get ready to go explore the maze," Tommy cut in.

Minho and I nodded, and we all stood up to get our supplies.

///\\\///\\\

The nine of us got our supplies and got ready to run into the maze. Newt came and kissed me before I left, which gave me motivation to run harder, so I could get back to him sooner.

"Good luck," I said to my two best friends, and they gave a curt nod.

I smiled as we ran into the maze. I immediately ran to section six. It was easier since I didn't have to take notes. I just had to look for things out of the ordinary.

The most I saw were beetle blades and those plaques that were everywhere. At one I stopped.

It was different from the others. It was a shiny copper that was cleaner than all of the others.

It read the usual, "World In Catastrophe Killzone Experiment Department"

But this time there was more.

In small letters that you would have to stop to read them was, "Isabella, we made sure that only you could see this. You know the exit to the maze. You know the code. We know you do. Dig deep down to find it, then report to the others. You're the memory."