Chapter 34

IZZY

Wow, I didn't see that coming. That's how I knew Tommy. My brother. That's why I was so protective of him. That's why I felt love for him. That's why I felt sadness in my heart when he wasn't there. That's how I knew him.

I went back to when I was a small kid, my first memory of the flare. My father was going on a rampage, and mom was yelling at him. Tommy and I were huddled in a corner.

"It's going to be okay, Tommy. They're coming to take him away in a couple minutes," I whispered.

"Why?" He asked. He was always so curious.

"Because he's sick," I tried to be discrete.

Mom came over and held us in her arms as Dad was throwing all of this random stuff at the walls. It really saddened me to see him like this. Tommy and I were both immune, but Mom and Dad weren't. They both had the Flare. Dad was already a crank, but Mom still had plenty of sanity. They all yelled back and forth.

Dad yelled, "Both of you! Look at me when I talk to you!" Thomas did as he was told and looked at him, but I wasn't going to look at him like this. I wanted to remember my dad who acted loving and kind, so I refused to see him like this.

"Izzy! Look at me" Dad screamed.

"No!" I cried. I was sobbing. I knew I was going to be abused. He kicked me in the back and I fell over in pain.

"Look at me!" He repeated. I still refused to look at him.

"Don't touch my daughter again!" Mom yelled while Tommy was crying.

"Fine! Go to your room, you worthless pile of crap!" He yelled. I hot up and ran to my room. My cheeks were soaked with tears. I pulled up my shirt to look at my back. It was bruised, and one spot was bleeding. I couldn't believe Dad did that to me. I fell on my bed and cried for a long time. I saw a black car pull up and knew that Dad was going to be taken away. I knew that I should've been unhappy that they were taking my Dad away, but I was happy. That thing out there wasn't my dad. That thing wasn't even human. Dad was drug out into the back if the car, and Mom came running in.

"My baby! Are you okay?" She was crying.

I pulled up my shirt to show her my back, and she started crying harder.

I whispered, "Mom, I'm okay. Don't cry,"

"He hurt you, and I didn't stop him," She cried, "I'm a terrible mother,"

"No, mom. You're a wonderful mother, and I love you,"

"I love you too, baby, and that's why later, you'll be away, and safe from me. You and Thomas both,"

"What?" I asked confused.

"You'll understand. You'll understand, baby." She whispered. I knew what she meant. She told WICKED to take us. She gave us away to killers.