Chapter 30

IZZY

I woke up to see I was still on the clinic's cot with Newt in the chair next to me. I know he won't want me to run today, but I have to. All of the other runners quit because they're afraid to get stung by a griever. Babies.

I sat up, and that made Newt wake up too.

He smiled, "Hey, love. Are you okay?"

"Yeah.. I don't know why I had a panic attack last night," I lied.

"Was it a dream?" Newt asked.

"I guess... I can't remember,"

"Are you going to run today?"

"Yeah, all of the other runners quit,"

He sighed, "Fine, but be careful, okay?"

"I'm always careful," I squeezed his hand and got up to watch the doors open. To see if my best friends were alive.

I ran all the way there. Chuck and a couple other boys were standing there waiting. Cam was there, and she apologized. Of course I forgave her. Newt came over and held my hand.

We waited a couple minutes before the doors started opening. He gripped my hand tighter as the doors were wide open. They weren't there. I sighed and looked down.

Everyone started waking away, but Chuck yelled, "Yes!"

I looked back up to see Minho and Tommy dragging Alby along. We all smiled with relief when they came out into the open and dropped Alby. Cam ran over to Minho and kissed him. They kissed for a little bit and we all just sat there waiting for them to be done. I ran over to Tommy and hugged him. I was so glad he was okay. My best friends weren't dead!

I ran into the maze to do my sections and about halfway through, I heard clicking really close. I looked to see a griever come around the corner. Shuck. I started running the other way, but it followed. It gained on me little by little. I looked back, and I tripped on a crack. I tumbled forward and struggled to get up, but the griever was on top of me in seconds. It's stinger got close to me, and I tried to push it away, but it stung me, and scurried off.

NEWT

I was working in the gardens when I felt and stab of pain in my side. I knew immediately that Izzy was hurt. I looked over to the door to see her stumble out and fall down.

I ran over to her, and she looked horrible. Her skin was pale, and her eyes bloodshot. The boys all crowded around her.

"I- I was st-stung," she stuttered. My heart stopped when those words came out of her mouth.