Chapter 12 - Goodbye, Dear Friend

As the others started arriving, I tried to avoid Newt's eyes. I knew everyone was wondering about what's wrong with me but I busied myself helping unstrap Winston. But after doing that I found myself idle.
As if waiting for that to happen, Newt walked over to my direction.
"Can we talk?" He asked almost quietly. It broke my heart to hear the pain in his voice.
"Okay." I looked up at him and followed him a few yards away from the shed. It was quite difficult to talk in the heat and over the wind but we didn't have much of a choice.
"I know I told you to tell me when you're ready, but I'm worried about you, Cara."
"I'm sorry, Newt." I crossed my arms resisting the urge to embrace him.
"It's okay if you don't tell me yet...but let me be there for you...Don't push me away. Please," he gave me a pleading look. His voice falling.
"I'm so sorry, Newt." I said once again, but now I allowed myself to wrap my arms around him. To my relief, he didn't resist.
"I promise I won't push you away again." I said as I held his cheeks and kissed him.
"I love you so much, you know that right?" He asked me sincerely. I nodded.
"So let me...Let me love you, Cara." He whispered as he leaned his forehead against mine.
"I love you too, Newt."  If I could only stay in this moment forever, I would.
"Guys! Get down here!" The moment was broken when we heard Winston screaming from the shed. So we ran back as fast as we can. I also saw that Teresa and Thomas just got there.
"What happened?"
"Winston, what are you doing man?!" Minho said and I looked over to see Winston holding a gun. Instinctively, Newt shielded me from his line of fire.
"Give me that." Thomas tried to calmly tell him as he slowly walked towards Winston.
"What happened?" I asked the others quietly.
"I don't know. He just woke up and grabbed the gun...and then he tried to..." Frypan answered.
"Give it back, please, Winston," Thomas said as he reached his hand out to him. Thankfully he gave the gun to Thomas.
"Winston, are you okay?" I asked him quietly.
"Its growing....inside me!" He trembled as he slowly raised up his shirt and showed us his stomach. The bandages were no longer there and the wound seemed to be much larger now. And it was like it was alive - pulsing and breathing. I knew it would be infected, but not like this.
"Shit." I said as I ran over to Winston, Newt tried to stop me but he was too slow.
"We can find you help, Winston. Maybe there's a hospital nearby or someone who knows what to do," I tried to convince him as tears threatened to spill over.
"I'm not gonna make it." He shook his head.
I knew he was right.
"Please, please! Don't let me turn into one of those things!" He begged everyone.
"Wait...Newt." I looked over to see Newt walking towards Winston with the gun in his hand. For a second I thought he was going to shoot. But instead he knelt beside Winston and placed the gun in his hand.
"Thank you." He clasped Newt's hand tightly.
"Now get outta here." He weakly told the group.
"Winston..." I tried to convince him once more but he simply shook his head and grimaced at me.
"Don't remember me like this, C." He said, now holding my hand.
"I'll always remember you as the meat-chopping, pork-loving Winston," I tried to smile in between tears. I then placed a kiss to his forehead.
"Take care of her, Newt. Take care of them. For me." He now held Newt's arm.
"I promise. Rest easy, Winston." Newt's eyes were also brimming with tears.
"Let's go love," I took one last look at Winston before walking away with Newt.