Chapter 14 - Promises Are Meant to Be Broken

"Cara, wake up." I heard Thomas' voice as he nudged me gently.
"Why, Thomas?" I looked around and saw that nobody else is awake and that it was still dark.
"Come with me." He motioned for me to follow him as he led us away from earshot.
"They gave you your memories back right?" He asked me in a whisper looking back at the others every once in a while.
"Yeah. Teresa told you?" I asked him.
"Nah, I just figured." He said.
"So you remember that we all used to work for WICKED right?" He prodded.
"Yes."
"Teresa wants to go back." He sighs. So she told him.
"I know. She's been trying to convince me all this time." I confirmed.
"Do you? Want to go back?" Thomas asked.
"No." But I hesitated for a moment and Thomas saw this.
"You're considering it too," he said almost accusingly.
"Can you blame me, Thomas? Newt isn't immune and I have to find a cure before he gets infected!" I blurted out.
"What?" His jaw clenched at the news.
"You don't know?"
"No...I didn't."
"He was never a test subject, Thomas. WICKED put him in the maze to be more of like a variable." I explained sadly.
"But going back to WICKED won't do anything, Cara." Thomas' resolve wasn't broken.
"I know that. You don't have to worry about me betraying you guys. You forget that these are my best friends. I'm just scared of losing him." I looked over to Newt who was now beginning to awaken.
"Yeah, I'm sorry, Cara. I didn't mean it like that. I'm just...hoping you can help me convince Teresa otherwise." He held my shoulder.
"I'll do my best." I said before walking back to the others.
"Oh and about Newt," I turned to face him again.
"We'll find a cure. I promise," he assured me.
"Whatever it take, okay Thomas?" I followed.
"Yes. I swear on my life." He nodded his head firmly.
"Thank you, Thomas." Although I didn't know how, knowing that Thomas will help me protect him made me feel so much better.

Today passed without much of an incident. Everyone was tired, thirsty, and hungry. And I feared we couldn't keep up like this for long. Still, the mountains seemed far away. Newt seemed a bit distant today, probably because of what I told him yesterday. So, I decided to give him some space.

"What?" I asked Minho after noticing him glance repeatedly at my direction every once in a while.
"You told me you were okay." He scoffed.
"I am, Minho." I assured him.
"Doesn't look like it these past few days."
"I know. It's just that they gave me my memories back and sometimes it overwhelms me." For some reason, opening up to Minho was easier than I thought.
"Woa-really? Was I there?" I rolled my eyes at his question but deep inside, I appreciated how Minho sensed that I didn't really want to talk about my other memories so he asked about himself instead.
"Actually you were. I remember pre-pubescent Minho with his tiny voice. Oh and there was a time when I was taller than you." I winked at him.
"No way. You're joking!" He accused.
"Nope." We laughed quietly amongst ourselves.
"I know you don't want to talk about it but I'm here if you need anything, yeah?" He said after a moment.
"I know. Thanks Minho." I gave him a grateful smile.

As the night arrived, the group decided to stop and just continue tomorrow. But unlike the past few nights, we couldn't find anything for a makeshift shelter so we just decided to sleep in our sleeping bags.

The temperature at night is almost as low as it was high in the day, this I realized as I lay shivering in my sleeping bag. The harsh wind wasn't helpful too. I can hear the chattering of teeth and the rubbing of palms. I was hugging myself as tight as I can in hopes of warming up.

"Hey, love?" Newt called from beside me.
"Hi, Newt." I said in between my quivering lips.
"C'mere." He signalled for me to share his sleeping bag with him. So I quickly climbed out of mine into his sleeping bag. I then proceeded to use my sleeping bag as another blanket for us. I let out a sigh of comfort when it felt warmer.
"I like this," Mine and Newt's bodies were basically pressed together. I slung my leg over his and my arms were pressed to his chest. I situated my head in the crook of his neck and one of his arms held me tightly.
"We should have done this sooner." He smirked.
"Yeah...Are you okay?" I asked him with concern as I nuzzled my head further into his neck.
"Yeah...Well, I'm still in shock I guess."
"Hmm." I hummed not knowing what else to say.
"Y'know we were together even before we entered the maze?" I mumbled as my eyelids started to droop.
"Really? I guess that's why," he pondered.
"That's why what?"
"When you came up in the box, I immediately felt a tug to you, like you were familiar. And when we started talking, I...It was more like I was remembering you rather than getting to know you." He said in a stream-of-consciousness manner.
"Can you imagine? We fell in love, two times," I said as I smiled.
"Well, I think for me it was just once. Like I never bloody stopped loving you. My mind may have forgotten, when I went in the maze, but my heart...my heart knew, my heart remembered you."