Chapter 23 - Mary's News

The doctor proceeded to explain how Thomas was actually their source of information about WICKED, and how he leaked information to the Right Arm right before being sent to the maze because he was sick of watching his friends die.
As per the woman's orders, the men put their guns down and backed off. I volunteered to come along as they took Brenda somewhere separate to be treated. I noticed how the doctor was giving me a glance every now and then as we made our way there.
She took us and Brenda to a tent with hospital beds inside. There was also quite a bit of medical supplies in there aside from lab materials and samples.
"I have to get blood from you, Thomas." She said as she led Thomas to a bed. Meanwhile, Jorge placed Brenda on the adjacent bed.
"Just gonna get some fresh air." After a moment with her, Jorge exited the tent.
As she was drawing blood, she told us about how she used to work for WICKED. And how they discovered that a particular enzyme that can be separated from the bloodstream of the immune, significantly delays the spread of the virus.
"And this enzyme. It can only be harvested from the immunes right? Impossible to manufacture?" I confirmed what I knew.
"Yes. Yes, that's right." The doctor nodded, once again staring at me weirdly.
"And this will only buy her, what, months, weeks? Depending on her genetic composition?" I asked taking mental notes.
"Correct." She was still giving me that look.
"You don't happen to be named...Cara...Don't you?" She asked me. A flurry of questions immediately flooded my mind.
"I am Cara. Do you know me? Did I know you?" I said a little too eagerly.
"Ava's litte star. You, you were so young and yet you were already running labs, making scientific diagnoses at the age of 13. You were her pride and joy." She mused. But what she said next suprised me.
"And then you ended up biting her ass." She smirked playfully.
"What...What do you mean?" I began. I looked at Thomas who was also confused.
"Oh, of course you don't remember. You, Thomas, briefly told me that Cara here, was the one who told you about us. You also mentioned that she started all the internal preparations for the secret communication." She explained.

As she told me this, that exact part of my memory resurfaced. I remember going behind Ava Paige's back and using my privileges to research and reach out to the Right Arm. I decided on this when they sent Newt to the maze. Only then did I realize how cruel and evil WICKED was. Just like Newt said, WICKED probably kept all of this from me in the hopes of converting me back. I buried my head in my hands, overwhelmed by the new information.

"So...So Cara betrayed WICKED?" Thomas was also wrapping his head around what the doctor just said.
"Yes. But Ava found out about this eventually, and so decided to send her in the maze. So it was up to you to carry it out. Took you long enough, but you eventually did, saying you couldn't take seeing more of your friends suffer." She calmly said as she injected Thomas's blood into the bite on Brenda's leg.