Chapter 26 - Betrayal's Sting

I woke up and noticed that Newt wasn't by my side anymore. Teresa seemed to have slept in her bed as well but she's also gone now. I quickly made my bed and put on my jacket and my boots before heading out the tent.
When I went outside, I saw that mostly everyone was up and getting ready to leave. I found my friends sitting on top of some rocks.
"Morning, C." Some of them greeted.
"Hi love." Newt reached for my hand.
"Have you guys seen Teresa?" I asked after greeting them.
"Thomas is also looking for her. Come sit with us." Newt offered. And so I sat beside the group as they made conversation along with the rising of the sun.

For a moment, I thought that my mind was playing tricks on me when I heard chuffing. But then I looked up towards the sky and saw lights. They were drawing nearer. Just as it clicked for me, Thomas came running down the hill, a look of horror etched on his face.
"ITS WICKED! THEY'RE COMING! EVERYONE!" He screamed. Everyone looked at Thomas then towards the sky. Indeed, WICKED's bergs were nearing the campsite.
People began panicking as they ran about and gathered their things. We all climbed down the pile of rocks and started running. Chaos ensued as the Bergs landed and people from WICKED climbed out, armed. We were outnumbered, outmatched, and caught off guard. Everyone knew this and soon WICKED had us all on kneeling on the ground, hands up in surrender. As much as I wanted to run or do something, I knew it was of no use.
When we were all subdued, I saw Ava Paige descend from inside one of the bergs. Her white, clean suit stood out amongst the sea of muddy browns and blacks. Our eyes met for a brief moment before she looked away.
She then approached Janson and directed him to start loading us in. And so the armed guards started pushing people harshly into one of the Bergs.
"Thomas." Ava then approached Thomas who was giving her a death stare.
"I'm glad your safe." She then motioned towards Teresa while outstretching her arm.
"What the hell..." Minho said confused.
"Teresa?" It started to click in my head.
"Of course it was you...You betrayed us!!! What have you done?" I tried to claw at her with my hands, the shock and pain of her betrayal blindsiding me. Why did it only click for me now? Teresa, she led WICKED to us.
"Care-I'm sorry!!" She cried as guards painfully restrained me. I yelled out in pain.
"Let her go!!!" Newt resisted as another guard restrained him and the others.
"Let her go!" Ava shouted at the guard who was holding me, a look of concern flashing in her eyes.
"Let them go." She said more calmly towards the others.
"Since when was she with them?" Minho said accusingly.
"Teresa's always had an evolved appreciation of the greater good. Once we restored her memories, it was only a matter of time." Janson interjected.
"Wished I could say the same for Cara here." He said as his eyes lingered on me.
"I'm sorry. I had no choice, this is the only way. We have to find a cure," She pleaded. But I refused to look at her.
"She's right. This is all just a means to an end. You used to believe that. All of you. Especially you, Thomas and Cara." Ava explained giving me a sorrowful glance.