chapter one

Jay was ten years when he learnt his father died at the front. Every year, many soldiers died at the front and fifteen years ago, one of them was his father. From his twenty-one, he is a soldier. But, a few days before his twenty-five years, it's the end of his engagement, and he know the return to reality, the "good life" will be difficult.

APRIL 17, 2013.

It's over, he will not see all the horrible things he saw during three years and a half. He left the base and breathed the fresh air of Chicago. He's free. He paid tribute to his father and nothing is more important. He looked around him seeking his mother. He doesn't remember her car. "Maybe she changed, maybe the car is red." he thought. So he waits. He waits his mom as if he was still in primary school. He pressed the strap of his bag, impatient and maybe anxious. Astonishingly, he always been shy, it's in his nature. He went out of his thoughts when he heard a broken female voice. Immediately, he know it wasn't his mother. He looked this pretty girl who was on the phone and didn't move when she rushed at him. She was too busy with her interlocutor. She dropped her phone, surprised.

-Oh ! Sorry ! Really sorry. I mean ... I'm sorry, I.. Sorry.

She was embarrassed. They lowered both, at the same time, to pick her phone and they rattled their heads, one against the other.

-Damn ! He laughed. You have a hard head.
-Shut up. She laughed too and picked up her phone before rising. Need help ? Your bag looking heavy.

He shook his head, a sign of negation and he rose.

-Usually, nobody stays in front of the base, so. But you know, I'm sorry.
-I know, it's okay, I'm fine.
-Good, hum.. I gotta go, she smiled.
-I'm just waiting for my mother, he smiled embarrassed.
-Yeah ? Are you in permission ?
-No, no. I finished. My engagement is over.
-Oh, okay. I really gotta go, I'm late.
-No problem.
-Bye, eum.., She searched his name.
-Jay Halstead.
-Erin Lindsay. So, Jay Halstead, have a good day and enjoy your freedom.
-Thank you, Erin Lindsay and be careful.

They laughed and she left with a big smile. Jay's mother came five minutes after. She was happy to see her son. He spoke about Erin Lindsay. He was happy to met a person which didn't have a pity look. He don't want pity. He don't need it.