The Ballad of a Shelby and Solomons

//I realized that I had some follow up one-shots that made it to tumblr and in bits on my one-shot collection here. I decided to just put them here so people don't miss them. Also thank you so much for the love I've gotten for Burned since I've posted it all the way to now. It means so much because I put all my love into it. Hope you enjoy this chapter and the next one which will be the last.

Birmingham-1948

"I'm in love with Teddy Solomons."

Arthur Shelby was far too old for this shit. He couldn't handle the scares that he used to be able to experience every day. Normally, he was pretty quick on his feet, maybe less so than his younger self. But the announcement from his niece completely caught him off guard. So much so that he spat out his whiskey.

The eldest Shelby was sat with his brother at the Garrison, a few hours before it was due to open for the night. It was a little odd because Tommy seldom visited Birmingham. He was far too busy in the Commons to visit Small Heath. Likewise, Ruby rarely traveled back and forth. Either she was in London or in Warwickshire.

"Solomons?" Arthur sputtered, his face already turning red.

Tommy stood behind the bar much calmer than his brother. A hint of a smug smile crossed his face. He knew almost instantly that the two young adults were going to spark up something. The way Teddy could hardly speak clearly in front of her and the way Ruby's fair complexion turned bright red under his eyes.

"You've met up with him again?" Tommy asked.

Arthur was practically spasming with anger. "As in Alfie Solomons?!"

"Yes." Ruby held her head high, her lips pursed. She looked just like her mother when she gave him that confident look. "Several times, in fact, and I love him."

"Tom!" Arthur erupted. "You knew 'bout this?"

"Easy, brother," Tommy replied coolly. "The two met when I was going to see Louise's new foal. He's a very respectable young man."

Ruby was a little surprised by her father's steady demeanor. She expected there to be an issue, like the issue her uncle was clearly having. "Well-well, yes he is." She hesitated and narrowed her eyes suspiciously. Why on Earth was he being so nonchalant about the whole issue. When she was younger, Ruby had declared her love for one of the Lee boys. Granted she was only fourteen and it was simply because the teenager could tame any unruly horse. When Tommy heard the news, he had a fit and threatened the boy to stay far, far, far, away from his beloved daughter.

So that was that. Ruby never saw the boy again. But now she was confessing her adoration for the son of an old colleague. Rival? Friend? The details were murky.

"Louise said he served during the Second War." Tommy poured himself and his brother another glass of whiskey.

Arthur gave him a flustered glare. Like Ruby, he was bewildered by Tommy's reaction.

"Yes." Ruby nodded.

Tommy beckoned for his daughter to sit at the bar and poured her a gin and tonic. Warily, she sat down beside her uncle. "Where did he serve?"

"France. Like you." Ruby replied. "He was hurt by a grenade. You should see the scar, nearly lost his entire leg. He's so brave." She chewed on her lip when she thought of the handsome young man who had won her over.

"You've seen the scar?" Arthur demanded. "On his leg? Under what fucking circumstances!?"

"Pral." Tommy hushed him.