20

It was midday about a week after Charlie Shelby was kidnapped. For more than one reason, Alfie was relieved to hear the little boy was returned unharmed. Not only was he safe but now Alfie didn't have to further incur the wrath of Tommy or Louise.

The week had been torturous though. She was still holding him on a probationary period. So, he stepped up his game to win her over again. Flowers crowded her desk, a diamond bracelet appeared on her wrist overnight, and he made sure to uphold his promise of transparency.

But Louise was being coy because she wanted him to earn her back. It wasn't every day Alfie Solomons was ignored. She felt it was healthy for him to know how it felt.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Instead, it was driving him crazy. Now a desperate man, he threw caution at the wind. After Louise returned from seeing some friends for lunch, she went into Alfie's office. She was filing a few things when he walked in. She gave him a glance of acknowledgment but simply resumed her task wordlessly.

Alfie didn't speak either which was a good indication he was scheming. He locked the door behind him and casually went about pulling the blinds shut.

Louise pretended not to notice. She heard his footsteps and finally, he embraced her from behind. His strong arms circled around her waist. "Did I tell you how fucking gorgeous you look?" He purred.

She bit back a smile but only shrugged in response.

"'Course I ain't surprised. Always look beautiful, don't you?"

"Is Alfie Solomons resorting to flattery?" Louise cocked an eyebrow. Her fingernails flipping quickly through the files.

"Only if it's working." He kissed right below her earlobe because he knew that was one of her weakest points.

It did make her misplace a paper, only realizing her mistake a moment later when he quit. "You're good at talking, Captain Solomons."

His lips smiled against her skin. "And you know what it does to me when you call me that."

She let a smirk slip past. But she had her wits about her and wasn't ready to let him off the hook. "Can't you see I'm a little busy trying to sort out your messes? You've scattered these account papers all over the place. And I can hardly read your handwriting."

Alfie rested his chin on her shoulder. "Sorry, love. Can I take you out tonight?" He asked.

"Still trying to butter me up?"

He groaned and buried his face in the crook of her neck. During business interactions, Alfie would rather die than beg. The gangster had an uncompromising image. He would cede, as he had before. But he was going to get the last word no matter what. But Louise wasn't a business transaction. If he was going to get anywhere he had to put his ego aside, realize he was in the wrong, tuck his tail between his legs, and keep working towards forgiveness. "Yes." He admitted.

Louise smiled and reached up to run her fingers through his hair. It was good to know that he was trying everything he could to make it up to her. She decided he deserved a break. "Yes, I'll go out with you tonight."

He lifted his head in victory. "We can go wherever you want." He promised and reached up to still her hands. He took the papers from her hands and tossed them aside. Lacing his fingers with her left hand, he raised it so they could both admire her ring. "Been thinking 'bout our wedding."