2

Ishmael knocked on the door of a three-story apartment. It was squeezed between the same brick style buildings so it didn't stand out on the street.

Louise waited on the sidewalk, holding her purse close to her stomach. "I really don't want to be a bother." She said to the young man. "If it's easier, I could go find a room to rent." Although her words were somewhat misleading. Her wallet was basically empty. She'd given all the money she had to Tommy Shelby. There was only so much she could pull out from the loose floorboard. The money from her parents after they passed. Money she had to hide from her husband. She stuffed what she could into her purse while her husband began his warpath. Then he entered the bedroom with a knife.

"Mr. Solomons said you could stay here for the night. He'll take care of things." Ishmael interrupted her thoughts.

The door opened and Ishmael perked up. A young woman no more than twenty stepped out. She seemed happy to see him as well.

"Did he forget something?" She pushed a few stray hairs from her forehead. Her face was flushed from housework and she made a few tugs at her simple skirt. The adoration for the young man was crystal clear in her dark green eyes.

Ishmael didn't seem bothered to see her a bit out of sorts. He was so smitten he nearly forgot what she asked. "Oh, no. Uh, he said to bring his new secretary here."

She glanced around him to finally notice Louise. "Okay."

"I'm Louise." She stepped up on the stoop to shake her hand.

"Evelyn, I try my best to keep Mr. Solomon's home running smoothly." She explained, taking Louise's hand. "Come in, I'll put the kettle on. Ishmael, will you stay for tea?" Hope glimmered in her eyes.

Looking conflicted, he sighed. "Can't right now, Ev, Alfie'll be needing me. See you later, though, I hope." He nodded.

She smiled warmly. "Yeah, see you soon." Their eyes met and Evelyn's face turned an even deeper shade of red.

Ishmael grinned and went back to the car with a new skip in his step. The sweet interaction was refreshing for Louise after meeting with Alfie.

"It's very nice to meet you, Louise." Evelyn let her inside.

The apartment was nice and well kept, most likely by the young woman. Alfie's apparent wealth was put on front display. But it didn't feel like a home. It felt staged and didn't show many signs of comfort. There were no photographs or portraits of anyone. No personal bits lying around the rooms, just a hollow sense of lodging.

"Is Alfie not married?" Louise had seen his rings but didn't care to notice if one was a wedding band.

"No, the man spends all his time working." Evelyn led her to the parlor. "Have a seat anywhere you'd like. I'll make tea, you hungry as well? Did you eat breakfast?"

"Oh, I won't pester you."

"Please, it's not a bother." She smiled. "S'nice to have a woman here. I'll make some eggs, that okay?"

"That would be lovely, thank you."

While Evelyn was bustling around the kitchen, Louise walked cautiously around the sitting room. A large mahogany bookcase sat by a fireplace. Curious, she tilted her head to read the spines. There were titles she recognized, well-known works. Some were first editions with heavy bindings and lavish décor. But it didn't seem like anyone had actually taken any of the books out to read them.