Unburned

//I had a commenter ask what would the end of the story look like if Alfie had survived. Well, three years after I wrote the epilogue, I think it's time to explore that. When I wrote Burned, everyone in the fandom was pretty much convinced Alfie was dead. I think we all HOPED he could survive but it seemed unlikely given he was shot in the face. So when season 5 came out, I was thrilled (like many Alfie Stans) but of course, it threw a wrench in the fic I had just written! With Alfie's continued presence in season 6, I thought it would be a bit fun to resurrect him. Don't get me wrong, I'm pleased with the original ending I have here. Unfortunately, it's sad, but sometimes sad endings are necessary to remind us of how sweet happy endings are. Anyway, to celebrate another year of Burned going strong and the final season of Peaky, here's the alternate ending just for the fun of it. As Tommy says, "Alfie, I think I may have written your final act"

            "Mum, honestly!" Teddy groaned as she tied a scarf around his eyes to obscure his vision. "I'm an adult now, you don't have to play these games with me."

"Oh hush, you've been waiting so long to use the adult card with me." She scolded. "Eighteen might make you an adult, but you'll always be my baby." To prove her point, she kissed his cheek.

"'Fraid she's right, Ted." Alfie walked in, tucking his pocket watch into his waistcoat. "Mums, they just don't ever let go of their baby birds."

Teddy turned in the direction of his father's voice. "What about dads?"

His father chuckled. "We ain't much better." He clapped a hand on his shoulder. "C'mon then, let's see what you've got for your birthday." He helped guide his teenage son outside toward the stables. It brought him back to the day he surprised Louise with Paris on her birthday. He smiled to himself; old habits die hard.

Besides, he felt he had every right to spoil his family. Over a decade ago, he never thought he would live to see Teddy's first birthday. With the cancer diagnosis, he resigned himself to an early death. It was something he'd made peace with a long time ago. As a young child, poor and practically starving. As a soldier fighting a bloody war. And as a gang leader, testing fate every waking second.

No, he didn't expect cancer to be the one who killed him, but it seemed fitting. A long, torturous death to pay for his sins. But Louise was too stubborn and took him to three more doctors for other opinions.

They agreed that Alfie was suffering from psoriasis, not skin cancer. It was a huge relief, Alfie felt like he'd been given a new lease on life and he wouldn't squander it. He retired, taking his earnings to the countryside where he would live out the rest of his days with his family.

Louise was thrilled. She had a feeling in her gut that they were destined to grow old together. To raise Teddy and visit with their grandchildren, God willing.

The trailer was parked on the gravel drive by the stables. Tommy Shelby was standing beside it, smoking a cigarette. When the Brummie saw the Solomons approaching, he waved over Curly to bring forward the horse. Henry was a strong, thoroughbred-Percheron cross. The gelding was sniffing curiously at the ground but lifted his head when he saw Teddy, Louise, and Alfie. His ears perked forward.

"Ready?" Louise beamed and removed the blindfold from Teddy's face.

The boy's face lit up. "Wow, look at him." He had inherited his mother's love for horses and was in awe of the stunning horse.

"He's all yours," Alfie said proudly. It never got old providing for his wife and son. He wanted them to have everything their hearts desired.