No. 13

"The Good Ones" by Gabby Barrett

••

Saturday, January 7, 1995
*Amelia's POV*
We sat in the studio till midnight, writing lyrics for a song that was now titled 'Finally Free'. It sounds good so far. Reggie came back into the studio a couple hours ago and fell asleep on the loft. Luke and I slept on the couch, and our night ended with that. We were exhausted from writing all day. My brain hurt.

••

Thursday, April 27, 1995
*Amelia's POV*
I arrived at school with the guys for another boring day. Today was a half day, because tomorrow was the beginning of the famous spring break. We had written about 5 or 6 songs since New Years, and we can't wait to share them with the guys after the Orpheum performance. 'Bright', 'Finally Free', 'Stand Tall', and so many more. I'm stoked.

"Are you guys serious?" Bobby asked.

"Well..." I said, "My dad won't leave. I'm pretty sure our mom is gonna start dating him again."

"At least he's not an abusive POS anymore." Luke joked.

"Hey!" I said, not defending him, but the comment wasn't needed either. Well, maybe it was? "Actually, fair enough." I responded. Luke smirked at me.

"I don't want them to be together again. They fight too much." Reggie said, fiddling with his own hands.

"So maybe tell them that?" Alex suggested. Bobby, Luke, Reggie and I all stare at him with an 'are you serious' look. "What?" He asked.

"We can't do that." I said.

"Nope, not ever." Reggie added.

"Why?" Alex asked.

Reggie and I looked at one another and sighed.

"Last time we did that, she told us to leave. He chose her over us. She agreed with him too. But knowing our mom, it was just because he was toxic. She'd chose us over anyone now, except him when he's in her life." I said. I felt Luke's hand grab mine. Everyone knew we were dating at this point, and I was used to the stares. A lot of girls fell for Luke, I just got lucky.

"Then don't do that." Alex said looking down and scratching his head. The school bell had rang, shooing the kids off to class.

"Saved by the bell." Reggie joked pointing upwards to the ceiling where the speaker was. We all went our separate ways. Well almost, we had classes 2, 4, and 6. Yeah, there's no 6th class on our schedule, but it's our homeroom, sorted by last name. Meaning I'll see Reggie and Luke in that class later.

Luke followed me to second, "Want to walk with me?" He asked, holding out his hand.

"Yeah, that'd be nice." I said, smiling and nodding, taking the hand covered in rings.

"So do you want to talk about it?" He asked, I looked at him confused, "Come on you're so oblivious." He joked. "Your mom and dad."

"Not here, not now." I said, smiling.

"Okay, then ditch class with me." He said, pulling me into the empty school closet with him.

"Lucas Patterson!" I said a little loud, he held his hand to my mouth and shushed me because someone was walking by. "You already have a C in German, we have to go!" I said, about to open the door.

He grabbed my hand and turned my head towards his, he got really close to my face and almost whispered, "Come on, lets have just a little bit of fun." He smirked and started kissing me. I could not resist. I didn't mean to give in, honestly, but this sounded exciting. He began to take off his blue sleeveless zip up, and I stopped kissing him.