A Bit of Normality

It was lunch time, a week after returning from the past, and I was in the library with Mildred, Maud, Enid, Beatrice and Sybil. Mildred was helping Beatrice with familiar control (cat training) for the head girl competition and I was chatting to Maud and Enid. 

That week I had spoken a lot to Miss Hardbroom. We'd had lots of study sessions together during the course of the week and we'd gotten a lot closer. I would now have considered her a friend rather than my teacher and I think she would have considered me a friend too, whether she admitted it or not. 

"I see your bandage is off, Ana," Maud said as she looked down at the arm I had sprained a few weeks previously. 

"Yes, it's fully healed now so I took off the bandage last night." 

"That's such good news!" said Enid. 

I smiled happily at my friends. 

"Mildred, Beatrice," said Maud, looking over to where they were playing with Beatrice's cat. "Look behind you." 

I looked behind us and saw Ethel and Clarice entering the library. 

"Why are they here?" said Beatrice. 

"Who knows," said Mildred. "But it can't be good." 

"Are you two still struggling with familiar control?" said Ethel sarcastically as she walked over to Mildred and Beatrice. "Clarice and I mastered that ages ago, didn't we Clarice?" 

Clarice looked down to the ground and didn't even glance near Beatrice. 

"Beatrice and I are doing brilliantly, actually. Just perfecting some tricks with Beatrice's cat," Mildred said. 

Ethel made a smug face. 

"Why are you even here?" said Mildred. 

"I came here to help Clarice study for the debating section of the head girl competition." 

"But me and Beatrice are practicing familiar control in here!" 

"I can see that," replied Ethel, "but I guess you two will just have to go somewhere else." 

Before Mildred could protest, Beatrice stood up and began to leave. 

"Fine," said Beatrice as she left. 

I could see that Clarice being there made her feel uncomfortable. 

Maud, Enid, Mildred and Sybil followed Beatrice out of the library and went to go and find somewhere else to practice. I, on the other hand, went to find HB as I had a revision session with her. 

As I sat in the potions lab, writing out flashcards and studying them, I was so glad to be able to write with my right hand again. Miss Hardbroom was marking some more test papers from the second years on her desk as I revised. 

"How are you feeling now, Miss Hardbroom?" I asked, looking up at her. "I mean, are you still a bit upset? Or are you okay now?" I paused. "You don't have to tell me if you don't want to." 

"No, it's okay. Thank you for asking. I'm okay now. Yes, I will always miss my step-sister, but she was a danger to us all. And I've learned to accept that leaving her in the past was the right thing to do." 

I smiled sympathetically at her as she looked up at me. 

"How is your studying going, Ana?" she asked. 

"Good, thank you. But I would be really struggling if it wasn't for you helping me. Thank you, again, for everything you're doing to help me pass my exams. I can't even tell you how grateful I am. These exams are so incredibly important to me and I'm just so thankful for your help, Miss Hardbroom." 

"You are very welcome," the teacher replied with a smile. "I'm glad I'm able to help with something important to you." 

I needed HB to pass my exams. Without her helping me, there was no way I would pass, so I was truly grateful for her. 

As I watched Miss Hardbroom mark papers, I was filled with joy. I put my pen down for a minute and just gazed at her. My affection for Miss Hardbroom had grown so much and I liked her more and more every time I saw her. I couldn't contain my happiness when being in her presence. She was just so perfect. Every day, I liked her more and more. Her beauty overwhelmed me and her gorgeous personality made me feel so warm and blissful. 

"Yes?" she said as she realised I was staring at her. I looked away suddenly, embarrassed. 

She laughed to herself and continued marking papers. I got butterflies in my stomach when she smiled. 

"Miss Hardbroom?" I said. 

She looked up at me and raised her eyebrow waiting for me to continue. 

"I think," I paused and stuttered. "I think... I just wanted to say I think you are really pretty." 

Holy shit. I wasn't meant to say that. I abruptly looked away and felt my cheeks quickly warm up after saying that. I wished I could take back what I had just said. I felt so embarrassed and ashamed for letting that thought leave my mouth. I was so scared in case I had just ruined my relationship with her. 

"Thank you, Ana," she said. I looked back at her, surprised by her calm reaction. I watched as a smile painted across her face. "That... that really means a lot to me." 

She looked me in the eyes and her gorgeous smile got rid of my embarrassment, bringing back the butterflies in my stomach. 

Wow. I couldn't believe I got away with that one.