True Fulfilment

Silently exiting the exam hall, an internal coolness washed over me with drastic contrast to the stuffy atmosphere as my awareness turned towards the cold water droplet falling, with much relief, from my forehead. 

After the threatening doors were closed again and the surrounding noise level returned to familiarity, I made an attempt to secretly slip out of the herd of students, avoiding my friends. There was only one person I wished to speak to. 

My escape from the hustle had gone successfully unnoticed, and I couldn't help but beam to myself as I rushed through the empty castle corridors. The echo of my footsteps on the stone floor filled the noiseless hallways, and as I skipped, I let my arms move freely around with glee. 

The absence of students in this area of the school somehow gave me a sudden, overwhelming appreciation of the eery, 19th-century-style castle of a school. The sharp, icy wind slapped against my skin and my hair trailed gracefully behind. I felt gloriously alive, sprinting through an era much different to my own. 

Reaching the door of the potions lab, my senses returned and I stood, mindfully, in the hollow silence. I observed the historical woodworks of the door so well-known to me, and actively noticed its every detail with a queer gratitude. Since being in this marvellous academy for almost a year, why was it that I had only now acknowledged its ancient beauty? 

With a heart feeling strangely fulfilled, I laid my palm onto the wondrous panel and heaved it open. 

As Hecate was supposably still in the exam hall, I took a seat and waited, patiently, for her return. 'My friends are probably wondering where I've gone,' I thought. 'Maybe I should go and find them.' But then, no. Hecate was the first person I wanted to see after my first exam, so I would sit here and wait for her. 

Only another minute or so passed before the woman I'd been dreadfully missing appeared before me, her eyebrows raised in surprise from my presence. Brows settling, she approached me, curious to find out about my exam. 

"It was wonderful!" I exclaimed, flinging my arms around her warm body and squeezing her tightly. 

"Wonderful?" she softly questioned, understandably puzzled by my immense enthusiasm. She embraced me back, regardless. 

"Yes," I sighed, reaching up to her tight hair knot and releasing her hair clips, gorgeous lengthy locks falling down and tickling my nose. "There were some tough questions, but I stayed calm and answered them all. Not only that, but I was truly confident with my answers. It went very well, but I've missed you so much, baby, and I've been longing to see you all day." 

I felt Hecate's stiff posture relax as I reported this. 

"I am extremely relieved to hear that, sweetheart. I've been nervous for you, I must say. I've seen how much work you have put into these exams and... gosh, I'm just so relieved it went okay this morning." 

No more words needed exchanging, so we just stayed in each other's presence for a while, gratitude overflowing from my heart as she held me. 

"Oh," I said, pulling away from her. "The head girl contest continues today, doesn't it?" 

"It does, indeed. 'Tis the semi-final, in fact." 

"I'd completely forgotten! Oh no Hecate, now I'm nervous again!" 

"Relax, my love," she chuckled. "Beatrice is well prepared. I saw her practicing before your exam this morning. She stands a good chance at winning this round." 

"Okay, good," I replied, feeling a little more relieved. 

"So, yes, I shall have to leave you in an hour or so to judge the competition. But sixty minutes is still a fair amount of time." 

"So..." I prompted, teasing her slightly. 

"So?" she questioned, failing to pick up on my suggestion. 

"So, what should we do for an hour?" 

"Well, I suggest that you spend this valuable time studying for your next exam. Why, what did you have in mind?" 

"Oh, right. Yes, I probably should do that. I was hoping for something a bit more... intimate. But I suppose that should be kept on hold until after my exams?" 

"I believe that to be a smart idea," she giggled. 

Sixty minutes flew by as I studied with Hecate, and it was soon time for us to part. 

"I'll check in on you tonight," she announced, formally, as she lifted her hand ready to transfer herself to the head girl contest. But before she did, she looked into my eyes and smiled. "I'm proud of you, Ana," she said. And with that, she vanished, leaving a warm glow in my soul. 

"I love you so much," I whispered back, picked up only by the empty room in which I stood.