A Highly Stressful Morning

I arose the following morning to the glorious humming of the bluebirds perched at my castle-like window, and as my feet met with the sun-kissed floor, I inhaled the fresh air surrounding me. My mind was as clear as a striking blue sky, wonderfully free of clouds, and as I took my inner peace with me over to my window, I realised that the sky was, indeed... not blue. Nor free of clouds. 

With the dreadfully dull atmosphere meeting my eyes, my brain suddenly remembered what dreaded day it was and my former sense of calmness decided to jump right out of the window. I was left with many thoughts, fears, worries, as I peered into the everlasting blur of greyness in the courtyard, but they all stemmed from one, rather significant, realisation. Today, was the beginning of my final exams. 

The faded hums of the birds rushed back into my ears, terribly strongly. But they were singing a different tune and the song they were now singing to me fed more worries into my brain. Were they trying to make me more stressed out than I already was? It was far from helpful. 

Just as my emotions began to paralyse me, a knocking sound thankfully interrupted my seemingly endless trail of thought. After realising that my legs did, indeed, still work, I rushed towards the door, gripped the handle and flung it open. 

I was relieved to see Mildred enter the room, Maud following on behind her. My attention abruptly came to the fact that both witches were fully dressed in their uniform. Panic arose in my chest just as it had started to calm. What time had I woken up? Was I to be late for my first exam? 

Mildred saw my jaw clench as I looked her up and down, and saved me from any further self-sabotage when she explained, "no, you did not wake up late, don't worry. Maud and I got up and dressed early as we wanted to do some extra revision before the first exam. I think-" 

"You look terribly worried, Ana. Is everything okay?" interrupted Maud as her rather insightful eyes caught a glimpse of my distress. 

"Umm, yeah. I think so," I whispered, dejectedly aware of the typical morning croak in my tone. 

"You'll be fine," Mildred assured me, sudden warmth taking up space in my somewhat confused mind as both her and Maud gifted me a beaming smile. 

"Yeah, I know," I replied, my rapid thoughts rationalising slightly as my focus turned to the reassurance of my friends. "I studied very hard last night until Miss Hardbroom..." 

Shit. Hecate. I fell asleep in her gloriously comforting arms last night when my exhaustion got the better of me and sent me to the most delightful sleep. I supposed she left after I drifted off. Oh, how I longed to be in the presence of that beautiful soul and how being at all distant from her evoked an agonising loneliness in my own. 

"Miss Hardbroom..." Maud repeated, prompting me to return to the present moment and finish my sentence. 

"It doesn't matter," I declared, my voice still weak after painfully awaking from my splendid slumber. "Where's Enid?" I asked, following a pause and a relatively delayed recognition of the absence of my friend. 

"Still sleeping," answered Mildred. "Actually, we should probably wake her up, should we not?" 

"Yes, I believe we probably should," I agreed, a surprisingly blissful giggle leaving my lips. 

My comfort buddies hustled out of the door and headed to Enid's bedroom, while I proceeded to change into the itchy uniform I knew so well. 

Before stepping into the corridor signifying the start of my assumingly jammed-packed day, I took a minute to reflect on the whirlwind of a morning I'd just experienced. I couldn't help but laugh as I pondered on the insane memories of my irrational worry. "Just chill out, dude," I said to myself as I began to feel rather silly for such an overreaction. I'd done all I needed to do. I knew everything I needed to know. I worked hard and I did my best with all my studying. I was ready for these exams. 

I breathed a much needed sigh of relief as I lifted my chin, turned the huge, heavy door handle, and with a lead of my right foot, walked into the day.