three

it was the next day and i was sitting with moon and her friends. they weren't my favorite people but i mean i didn't have anywhere else to sit. a counselor was standing in the cafeteria with a microphone giving everyone a lecture. "cyberbullying is no laughing matter." the counselor said. "sending a cruel message to someone online can be just as hurtful as saying it to their face." the women said and i took a bite from my sandwich as i scrolled on my phone. "i'm not gonna name names, but the other day a mother called me up because her son was crying," the women said "after some kids online," she said and i took another bite of my food. "made fun of his facial deformity." and that's when i looked up at the kid who was looking around, embarrassed over the fact that everyone had looked at him. i had looked away since i didn't want to make it worse for him but i knew i wasn't changing anything.

he had put his hand over his scar, trying to cover up. i guess he thought that doing that might take the attention off of him. "but today, our goal here is to make this school a safe space for all students." the counselor had said, like that would ever happen. "one last thing," the women said. "while we're all looking forward to the halloween dance let's make sure our costumes are culturally sensitive." she continued and i went back on my phone. "for example, instead of 'sexy nurse' maybe try, 'gender neutral hospital employee." i heard her say.

moon had forced me to go with sam, yasmine, and her to get costumes yesterday, we decided on going as cheerleaders.