3: Mortals and The Secret Undead

Original POV

She was in the valley again.

It had just rained, and she was cold. Not freezing, just uncomfortable. She loved it. The grass made a squeaking sound when she rubbed it between her thumb and forefingers. She did not have to push to get mud between her toes. It smelled so good. Not as good as other smells she remembered. Not on a general scale. But emotionally this smell felt nostalgic. And it was just that smell. No others on the wind, no sour undertones. Clean, clear air.

But it still wasn't right. Something was still missing. There was something she missed so dearly. It made her chest ache. Again she knew, whatever it was, it wasn't in Greece. But, she can't remember past this. Not clearly. It's been so long...she can't even remember her face. How can she remember what she misses? It's not here. It's not here.

******

Taylor didn't open her eyes right away. She wasn't sure where she was. The bed, she was on a bed. It was very hard, and the sheets were scratchy. And beside her was a smooth beeping. A hospital? She did pass out. Her parents would be smart to take her to one. Though, she didn't like hospitals for obvious reasons. But it wasn't her parents she saw last...

She opened her eyes. The beeping wasn't a heart monitor but a soft alarm. The room she was in did look like a doctor's office though. A bit warmer in both temperature and decor perhaps. And no spirits about. She wasn't at the doctors. A knock.

"Hello, may I come in?" Taylor let out a small reply on instinct. And the door opened fully revealing something, incredibly strange. He was a person, a very beautiful person. Blonde hair, golden eyes, a gentle smile. But, something was off. Something wasn't right. Not malicious at all no, but nonhuman. Not human anymore.

No, no. This man is here, he's alive. He opened the door. And now he's checking your pulse. He's real.

His hands were very cold. But it's winter. And he looks human, he is human. He's alive.

"I know I am not your primary care physician however I think it'd be against my oath to not advise against taking a nap in the snow in the future." He smiled. "Perhaps a nice warm bed would better suit your needs next time."

"I'm not at a hospital."

"No, you are not-"

"I know, that wasn't a question." She was focusing, this man had a few ghosts himself but they didn't seem to want to be there. As if they were attached by mistake and slowly fading away to whatever's next. They were barely there. She didn't want to give them attention still, or else they might stop leaving. But her response was still rude. "I'm sorry. Where am I?"

"My home. I am Doctor Carlisle Cullen. My son Edward found you passed out in our driveway a while ago. Luckily, I have a home clinic and a few bottles of water to spare." He held out a plastic water bottle, seal unbroken, still wearing his gentle smile.

"Thank you." Taylor accepted it and took a few drinks before continuing. "I'm Taylor, I was actually looking for my parent's house."

"Wrong driveway?"

"Must be, not much of a family resemblance between you and I." Carlisle chuckled.

"What are your parents' names? I'd feel better if they knew you were okay. Maybe come here to make sure."

"Agatha and Darnell Johnson."

"Oh, our neighbors." Figures. Of course, she'd stumble in the wrong yard. And of course it'd be the yard with a terrifying war poltergeist in it. She'd still tell her mother about it, the thing left a trail in the snow. It's far too powerful to be kept around, and it was intent on hurting someone. "I can give them a call if you'd like. Your phone was..."