7: Girl Talk

"Nope!"

"Oh boy, sorry. You-you don't look old at all, that's not it."

"Your mom just looks young and beautiful."

"Heh, yeah..." Taylor stood awkwardly in the doorway.

"May I come in?"

"Oh? Oh! Yeah of course, I was actually just about to head to your place funny enough." Alice Cullen skipped inside with hands clasped behind her back. Taylor noted the yellow porche in their driveway now, and wondered how she missed that bright of a car at first. She closed the door for now, but didn't take off her jacket and boots. A clear sign that they should be going soon. Alice Cullen took off her coat though, and hung it on the rack by the door.

"Your mom's in the middle of her ritual actually."

"Your brother's with her then?"

"Brother?"

"Jasper." Alice laughed. She sounded like chimes.

"Oh no, not my brother. My boyfriend. And yes he is." She made her way to the livingroom with Taylor in tow. "It's hard to see him so upset, and I was upsetting him by being upset. So I left. It will work out better without me there."

"Aren't you all Dr. Cullen's children?" Taylor was stuck on that.

"Yes."

"So you're...related."

"Ha! Not by blood!" Not by- not by blood? Huh. Yeah no. Taylor was done delving into that. That's something fucked.

"So!" Taylor said abruptly. "What brings you around?" Alice sat down on the couch and motioned for Taylor to do the same.

"So, I was talking to your mom about your family history. It's just so interesting how you guys have like... superpowers ~. And I was wondering if it was genetic but she said you'd know better than her because you actually talked to them. I'm extremely curious, also nosy. I just wanna know our neighbors better!"

"Well, uh, I'm not staying here for too long..."

"Yeah, I know. But you're parents are! So I wanna know."

"About what?"

"✨ Everything ✨." Taylor blinked. She wondered where to start. "So, how far back do your superpowers go?"

"Mine? Mine go as far back as I can remember. I've always been able to see spirits. But like, in our family?" Alice nodded excitedly. "I'm not sure. With my ability I think it's safe to say anybody in our family who had it would've moved on fairly quickly. They'd know the best how to. But, like, my mother can sort of...feel things."

"Hm?"

"Yeah like, the future. It's super little things like when it's gonna rain or something. Or like, she knew I was going on a trip before I knew. And that ability is sorta rare. No one I've met recently had that power. Like I spoke to my great grandpa. He was an asshole. Real racist and misogynistic, which were the times I guess but man he was an asshole. He had that ability. But only slightly."

"What?"

"Yeah, he was a jewelry salesman or something. And only ever used it in his salesmanship. He could pick out which customers where gonna be happy in their long marriage and which ones would come back to complain about the merchandise. So he avoided those. He like, killed his wife though. And sent his daughter to an asylum. Mom thought it was because she had the same ability or something cuz she was going around saying her dad killed her mom and was gonna kill her. I'm just like...he probably said she had hysteria or something. Or 'woman problems'. He was a real bastard. Got rid of him real fast." Alice stared forward a moment.