31: Pitying Laughter

The room felt heavier, even to those used to such weight. Sunrise had passed yet light did not push through the openings above. The only illumination provided was the smallest reflection of the light down the hall. Breathing was thick, like inhaling sickly sweet molasses, movements were heavy as well. The atmosphere was completely covered in the wet darkness which rose from the grate at room's center. The others could not see this, to them it was a dimly lit empty room. To Taylor, it was like drowning in the dark.

Despite this she strode to the grate, tapping her foot against its metal bars. Like knocking on a front door. Nothing answered at first, causing her to knock once more. It was then that the shaking occurred. Much too faint for a human to perceive but the others saw it. As Taylor watched a slow-moving thing emerge from its depths the immortals gazed upon a slightly shaking metal top in wonder. Something one could easily push away as the remnants of Taylor's stepping if the shaking had ever slowed. It emerged just as hideous as before without a word but that suctioning still present as it wormed its way above ground.

"I have some questions." Taylor stated. The thing stretched like it had just woken up from a restful slumber.

"Do you now?" The thing asked, still speaking down to her like a child. It gave a groan as it stretched once more, tutting at her in disapproval. "No greetings first? That's rather rude." 

"Hello." She deadpanned, the thing was not pleased with her tone. Taylor wasn't pleased with it attacking her family. Both were equally displeased in that room.

"You've a boldness I find extremely irritating, girl. Extremely irritating."  

"It's a good thing I'm not trying to entertain you then." The spirit box came to life in a sudden burst of static as she twisted the knob.

"Oh, I had found you entertaining nonetheless. Even now as you blatantly ignore the advantage I have you are not at all mundane. Though, I can find amusement elsewhere so your leaving will not affect me so much." 

"If you have things to say." Taylor held up the spirit box. "Speak into this." 

"You expect to display me for your own entertainment? To parade my voice to the crowd gathered behind you?" Taylor did not speak to interrupt the thing's contemplation. For a moment it seemed content to let her stand there, just holding the machine up in silence. A few beats passed. Others behind the girl began to shuffle in impatience. Marcus folded his hands in front of him, wanting to steer Taylor away from this room. Wanting to comfort this obviously distressed woman. But he could not, it would not be appreciated at the moment. The thing droned only after it saw Taylor's determination. It sighed. "Very well." 

"I have questions for you." Taylor stated once more. He turned a moment and leaned its' towering mass down slightly.

"And I've answers, perhaps." Those behind Taylor whipped their heads towards the device in her hand. Even Agatha had to hold in her surprise, it was the clearest voice the spirit box had ever produced. The most she was used to was short sentences, usually only singular words. When this thing spoke it was an unhindered man's voice through the static. Crystal clear. As was the amused chuckle that followed. 

"Absolutely fascinating." Aro whispered to himself. 

"Do you find me intriguing Aro?" It coaxed Aro to speak to it, Taylor whipped around to face Aro. 

"Don't answer it. It's playing with you." Aro chuckled at Taylor's concern.

"I do not think it can harm me, that would prove extremely difficult." He said this but had not yet spoke to the manifestation which addressed him directly.