25: Family Dinner

Taylor did wear something warm, she was glad she did. Her yellow puffer coat did well to fight against the night chill as she strolled the streets. Her destination was a small restaurant her parents had reserved a large table at. She was running late but didn't altogether worry about that. In the distance through a large window surrounded by rustic brick, she saw the crew laughing, ordering drinks, she was too far to hear what was so funny. Upon seeing her parents she stopped. Her mother's head was leaned against her father's shoulder, their faces delighted and perhaps a bit sad. The show was almost over, this would most likely be their last meal with a crew like this. The last chapter in their career's story, the rest was an epilogue. It was bittersweet both because they would miss the work and because Taylor had no wish to continue it. This was an assumption Taylor made as she watched her father pass Agatha her drink, adoration clear upon his slightly reddened face. 

Taylor's own face was contorted so she fixed it. A mask of pleasantry she would have to wear all night despite suddenly not wanting to be around people. The weight of the end suddenly bore down upon her as she watched this crew she had barely given the time of day to act so friendly to her parents. She had been so reserved since arriving, no...not that...completely focused on someone else. That she had no regrets over, however, the stark contrast of this scene before her and the tense aura she had escaped in the tower was staggering. Here people were laughing together, touching, tossing bunched-up napkins at one another. It was so warm, comparable to when she had Marcus alone. In the restaurant before her people were smiling and she wasn't frightened by it. She could've stayed in the street all night, watching life play before her. Remo was right, she had a decision to make soon. As much as she wanted to be around Marcus she wanted what was in front of her just as much. That castle was just so stifling. Taylor wished she could bring Marcus into this atmosphere. It was a selfish thought, he would not wish to leave his family of course. 

Taylor wasn't sure she was ready to part with her own.

"Taytay! Sweettums! We got you an old fashioned is that good for ya?" Darnell asked, standing to hug his daughter. She reciprocated warmly. 

"I'm not an old man Dad." Taylor laughed. Agatha hugged her in greeting after motioning to an empty seat down the table. 

"You're late bumble bee, I just got you what I'm having. Am I an old man?" Darnell asked.

"You ain't getting younger." Taylor teased.

"I'm finely aged." 

"It's the salt and pepper beard for me." This from a young woman next to Taylor. She wore thick glasses and a baggy dark vest over a blue turtle neck. Darnell stroked his beard.

"It's dignified- it's the dignified beard for me." He corrected. 

"That's not how that works Dad." Taylor corrected further. Darnell waved her comment away taking another sip of his glass. The young woman turned to Taylor.

"I'm Martha Ann, came over from the states to work with ya'll." Taylor shook her hand.

"It's nice to meet you Martha. What's your position?" 

"I'm just a camera operator, you broke so many of my cameras-well I spose you didn't brake em the ghosts did. Ched over here's my brother, he handle's audio mostly cuz I'm partially deaf you see. Not a thing registering in my left ear, when I was little some idiot thought it was a good idea to fire a rifle too close to me *just* as I was taking off my earplugs. I was like, eight. But I only had the one ear exposed so It's all good." Taylor looked past Martha and her info dump about her life, to see a much bigger guy with glasses just as thick sitting next to Martha.

"Hey, Ched." The man smiled sheepishly with a small wave. 

"He can talk, he just can't talk to girls or something. Weirdo." Martha nudged her brother who grew red in the face.