6: Dreams and Boundaries

"Daddy!!"

"Hey there baby girl." Little Taylor ran into her Daddy's arms. He thought she was just happy to see him, he'd been working all week. So he gave her a big hug kissing the top of her head with a smile. It was late, very late, but that was okay. His baby girl had been waiting up for him he assumed. This gig wasn't it. He'd just come from that abandoned hospital downtown, Aggie was asleep in the back of the motor home. If she'd been woke from Taylor's yell she didn't show it. Just turned over in bed facing away from where his daughter had been laying. But Taylor, she was shaking.

"What's wrong sugar?" He asked, trying to pull away to see her. She held on as strong as a toddler could muster. "Taylor? Did you have a bad dream?"

"I don't want you to go back to work Daddy!! Don't go back to work!!" She was sobbing. Darnell started panicking.

"Taylor what's the matter? Do you miss me that much?"

"No!" Darnell frowned a bit. "You got a monster!" Agatha sat straight in bed quickly. It had all made sense, her own feelings about their daughter. Darnell was still confused, looking at his wife with wide eyes. Taylor just missed him. That's it. Just missed him. Or had a bad dream. Agatha got out of bed tying a robe around her and started to usher Darnell out of the trailer.

"Take Taylor outside then you come back in."

"I'm not leaving her alone in the dark Aggie."

"She'll be okay my dear, but we need to cleanse your person and the home."

"She just had a bad dream hon-"

"No."

"I know you're a bit flustered and all, being that you just woke up. But darlin' she's three. There's no way she'd know if something came home with me, you'd see that."

"This isn't Mother's intuition Darnell. She can see what you brought home. Damn it. You didn't wear the beads I gave you I swear to God." Agatha was panicking now, but paused her shuffling through junk drawers. "Get her out now."

"Stay right here baby." Taylor cried outside of the home, wanting desperately for her Daddy to come back out and hold her. But she didn't want to go inside. So she sat crying in the dirt trying not to look at the nurse with the wrong neck. The nurse felt bad really. She was only surprised that a child could see her. Taylor was so cute. She only wanted to see, she hadn't seen a child in so long. She'd worked in the nursery for almost thirty years. Round the time she died she remembered dipping her hands in a vat of alcohol between patients. She'd just helped deliver a child. But there was a issue, it passed, as did the mother. It was something that wasn't as common as it used to be what with the hospital requiring the alcohol and such. But it happens. She remembered her death, how the Father's hands felt around her throat. She couldn't stop him, he was a large man. She couldn't blame him either. He'd just lost everything. And in return she lost her life. She remembered thinking 'this man is going to break my neck.' then her spine snapped. And now she looks at the world sideways. Maybe that's what scared the child. It looked at the nurse through the window a moment, and she smiled, straightening her head upright. See? She could look normal. But this seemed the upset the child more. How? She didn't understand...children loved her smile.

Taylor was unaware this was a dream, merely a memory. Until through her watered eyes she glanced a woman standing beside her who could not remember her own face. Leaning down, rubbing Taylor's back.

"I'm sorry, it was not my intention to delve into harmful memories. I did not wish to be in the valley anymore."

****