Chapter forty four.

Tessa

I walked around the classroom and glanced at all the pictures the kids were coloring. The assignment was to draw one of their Christmas wishes. I was supposed to call it "winter break," but I couldn't bring myself to be politically correct right now. I was too happy.

As I strolled through the classroom I smiled. If Christmas break was anything like Thanksgiving break, there would be lots of laughter and a few tears of joy.

Vivian had stayed only two days, much to her family's disappointment. She needed to return back to New York to be with her husband for some charity event that Saturday night. Vivian, Chloe, Emmeline, and I all spent Friday in San Antonio. Shopping and getting our nails and toes done. It had been a blast, and Chloe had fallen in love with her Aunt Vivian, but there was something in Vivian's eyes, the false smile she wore, that had me talking to Hardin about it. She didn't seem happy and even Emme had noticed it.

One of the kids coughing pulled me from my thoughts.

Stopping at Timmy's desk, I glanced at his drawing and attempted to keep my chuckle in. It was a picture of him holding Chloe's hand. My heart warmed. Poor kid. He had no clue Hardin would never let that wish come true.

I had to cover my mouth to keep from laughing at what he was going to do when I told him about this.

Walking around the room, I stopped and glanced over Chloe's shoulder. She was deep in thought as her crayon moved over the paper. It was a picture of an open field. The ranch, I was guessing.

Chloe was on a horse with a huge smile on her face and Hardin and I were off to the side. My breath caught in my throat. She had drawn me with a bigger belly and Hardin's hand over the small round bump. My belly was colored half pink and half blue. I took a few steps back before I regained my composure.

There is no way she knows.

Hardin and I hadn't told anyone I was pregnant. Except for Emmeline, Carson, and our mothers. And we hadn't actually told our mothers officially. No one else knew. On Christmas day we were going to make the announcement.

I took another step and peeked at the drawing. Yep, I looked pregnant in it. Why was it half pink and half blue? Then it hit me.

Oh. Lord. She was hoping for twins.

Twins.

I spun around and tried to keep my body from shaking. Why hadn't I thought about twins? My breathing picked up and I closed my eyes.

Deep breath in. Deep breath out. In. Out.

Twins? Oh, Lord.

"Ms. Young, are you okay?"

Snapping my eyes open, I looked at little Ricky. "Um...yes. I'm fine."

My classroom phone started to ring. I made my way over to it and pushed the thought of twins far from my mind. Very far.

"This is kinder!" I said with a cheerful voice.

"Um...Tessa, I'm sending Mrs. Haas to your classroom. I need you to come down to the office."

Mrs. Haas, the vice principal? That couldn't be good.