Chapter forty three.

Hardin

To say this Thanksgiving was both the best and weirdest would be an understatement. I was bursting at the seams to tell Chloe about marrying Tessa. My mother and April had calmed down when Tessa and I walked back into the house. I guess they were waiting on us to tell them, because neither of them said a thing. We decided we were going to make them sweat it out for a few weeks, or at least until one of them broke down and asked us.

Then you had the whole Nathan, Harry, and Blair thing. Nate had invited Blair over, and she had accepted. Harry couldn't keep his eyes off of her, and she did everything she could to avoid looking at him. Even my mother noticed it.

"What's going on between Harry and Nathan's Blair?" she had asked.

With a shrug, I told her she needed to ask Harry. No way I was getting dragged into it. But I also couldn't help but notice how she called Blair "Nate's friend." I was sure it was because of the way he'd introduced her.

"Mom, Dad, this is my friend, Blair. She's from Chicago and her parents are out of town so she had nowhere to go."

The look on Blair's face was utter embarrassment, and I was waiting for Tessa to kick Nate in the balls. She didn't need to. Blair did it for her with her own introduction when she made it clear she was friends with Tessa.

"Mr. and Mrs. Scott, thank you for the invite. Tessa's told me so many wonderful things about you both."

My mother tilted her head. "You know Tessa?"

Blair wore a huge smile. "We went to college together, and she asked me to move here to fill the first grade teacher's position."

Glaring at Nathan first, my mother then grinned when she looked back at Blair. "Well, we're so happy you could join us, Blair."

"Okay, everyone! Dinner is served!" my mother called out from the kitchen. Walking into the formal dining room, my stomach dropped as I watched Tessa help Chloe set a bowl of mashed potatoes on the table. Chloe stood on a wooden chair, and Tessa handed her the bowl and showed her where to put it. She then high fived Chloe and pulled her in for a hug. She was going to make an amazing mother. She already was for Chloe, and she had no idea. Chloe was no longer my daughter, but ours.

Nate took a centerpiece from Blair and kissed her lightly on the cheek. Blair had been placing flower centerpieces along the massive pecan table my father had built years ago. It seated twenty when you put the two sleeves in. Dad had said he needed a large table for when all his kids got married.

Chloe tugged on my shirt. "Daddy, I want to sit between you and Tessa. Is that okay?"

I lifted her up and kissed her cheek, making her giggle. "Of course it is, pumpkin!"

When I put her down, she ran over to Nathan. "Uncle Nate! Next year I get to shoot the turkey with you!"

Nate dropped to Chloe's level and flashed her a wide grin. "I think that sounds amazing! I had to shoot two this year! I could have used your help."

Chloe snapped her fingers and said, "Dang it."

Nate laughed and pulled her ponytail before giving her a quick kiss on the tip of her nose. Blair stood off to the side and observed it all. One glance around and I noticed  at the opposite end of the table.