↳21. The Last Five Years

The cool breeze causes him to shiver and mutter, 'fuck

The cool breeze causes him to shiver and mutter, 'fuck.' He folds his arms into his chest as a way to conserve body heat. He regrets leaving the house without his sweater; he can hear her in the back of his mind, scolding him about how he's going to catch a cold because of his forgetfulness.

The ferry ride to Staten Island was cold and lonely; he sat by himself slouched in his seat, hoping that the hat he is wearing will do its best to disguise him. He listened to the water splashing around as mainland New York disappeared from his view. He pulls out his lighter and a rolled-up joint; he rolls his thumb on the metal spark wheel only for it to be caught on the first roll, the flame being bright and quick. He presses the end to his lips and then exhales.

Giggling and soft whispering caught his attention. He glances towards the end of the row where a young couple reclines in their seat. The girl sits on his lap, a gaze of infatuation on her face as she spoke to him. The boy also has the same stupid look and he just wants to slap it right off his face. To tell him to get out while he still can so he doesn't get his heart ripped out of his chest and broken into little tiny pieces.

Seeing the way they are being so lovey-dovey gave him a headache. He brought the joint back to his lips again, inhaling deeply, making sure that the smoke sank into his lungs. Hoping that the weed will do its job of transporting him somewhere than being in the present right now. The couple reminded him of how they used to be in the last five years--- in love yet clueless and naïve. His mind drifts back to happened when he arrived at her apartment, earlier this morning.

Pete face lit up when his girlfriend entered the living, "I have something big to tell you."

With a fake smile plastered on, she asked, "What is it?"

"Netflix is giving me my own special!" he announced. He shimmied his shoulders, doing that dorky dance that always makes her laugh.

When he got off the phone with his manager earlier in the day, he couldn't believe it. Who would have thought that he would be at this point? From open mics at comedy clubs to being casted on SNL to a large streaming platform comedy special. If only his younger self could see himself now... he'd probably shit himself. He'd also probably be surprised that he made it this far in life. But ultimately that it's worth living for: he's made his dreams come true, he'll be able to take care his mom and sister, and he met a fantastic girl that he absolutely loves.

Valentina's fake smile faltered a bit upon hearing her partner's recent achievement. Pete caught the facial twitch, the alarms in his head blaring, but he shrugs it off thinking of what his therapist said a few months ago.

"That's amazing dear," she lied. 

"I know! It's another thing that we will be celebrating tonight," he wrapped his long arms around her, "What about you? Did they put up the call sheet?"