↳23. A Wave of Emotions

Despite the fact that he has been at her house a few times, he knew her place like the back of his hand

Despite the fact that he has been at her house a few times, he knew her place like the back of his hand. Where her cups are, where she keeps the leashes, her glasses, etc. He uncorks the bottle of wine and fills the glasses half-way. He opens the take-out cartons and evenly portions them out on the plates. The dogs gather around his feet and beg to have some of delicious food they smelled. Picking up the dinnerware, he carefully walked towards the living room and sets it down on the coffee table.

He queued up their movie and called for her to come out. The pony-tailed woman rapidly types on her phone, her long nails making that tapping sound that he found very relaxing. Finishing her last sentence, she locks her phone and smiles broadly at the sight in front of her.

"Did you do this all for me?" she asks, her voice going several octaves higher.

"Yeah, you've been working so hard recently. You deserve a break," he says as he brought her over to the couch.

"You're so cute," she exclaims, "Thank you." She takes a bite and moans in delight, "This is so good! I didn't know that Thai food could be made vegan."

The two feasts on noodles, vegetables, and rice while talking about the music she's been writing, how much she's been loving working with Pharrell, how great the scripts he's read, and how excited he is for his upcoming projects.

Arm around her shoulder and eyes fixated on the wall-mounted screen, Pete felt at peace but at the same time, ashamed. The way that they are sitting together like this, as if they were... a couple. He can't quite put his finger on it but it felt all too familiar. But it doesn't mean that he didn't like it; the way that this girl, who is snuggled under the crook of his arm, made him feel on the inside. It was like a bad kind of butterflies because he thinks he likes her. The last time he had a fluttering sensation in his stomach, he was with...

No! Absolutely not, no way, he argued internally with himself, I'm still getting over a breakup and so is she. But the way she scrunches her nose while she thinks is adorable, when she has to go on her tip-toes just to reach for the cereal makes me laugh, when her hand accidentally grazes over mine...

"So... when are you going to ask me out?" she said point-blank, making him nervously laugh. She looks up at him with those big brown eyes (they look almost exactly like...), "I'm serious. I don't mean to put you in uncomfortable position but I fell for you the moment we met and I want to be with you."

This is when she took her chance and kissed him. The comedian froze in place, unsure of what is happening, what he is feeling. He likes the way how she knows what she wants, she takes action, and how put together she is. They pull away from each other, both high on the rush of adrenaline.

He bit his lip and thought carefully about the idea of her and him dating. He leans in again and kisses her hungrily. He really does believe that they can make it: have a beautiful love story, have a family, and grow old together.