↳33. Only Us

"Okay

"Okay.... what do we need?"

The products on the shelf towered over them, overwhelming one's sight with rows upon rows of different brands ranging from affordable to costly, organic to genetically modified, gluten-free to normal.

Pop music playing in the overhead speakers of the grocery store, with the store employees occasionally interrupting the song to announce their sales for the week. Everyone shopping looked defeated by the sun, how could they not be with this unusual weather for the spring. Being abnormally hotter than usual, residents of the Grand Canyon State have opted to wear their athleisure, consisting of running shorts, tank tops, a baseball cap, and tennis shoes.

Valentina, however, is dressed as if she was begging for a heatstroke. Having adapted to the climate of the Eastern coast, her wardrobe currently consisted of warmer clothing. It also didn't help that with her job, it required her to purchase items that could help maintain body heat to keep her muscles warm and ready for whatever show they would be performing. It was shoulder shrugs, leg warmers, vests, cardigans, and leggings galore in her suitcase and it was also her fault for not checking the weather before arriving. She would've gone shopping but she preferred to stay out of sight, considering that somehow, someone leaked the news of where Pete is and the speculation that appeared concerning her whereabouts. She'll manage the heat, plus, she kept her home at a chilly sixty-seven degrees.

Standing next to the dancer is her only female friend, Anna, who bounces up and down, in a super caffeinated state after trying one of the local coffee shops Valentina used to frequent in her teenage years. The photographer had arrived shortly after the Arizonan had dropped Pete off at the facility. It was out of the pure kindness and love that the Mulaneys had for this young woman, to have stopped their day-to-day lives and be temporarily re-locate to her hometown. It has been tough on everyone in their friend group, they needed to support themselves just as they are with Pete. 

"Something about tomatoes?" she guesses, "And onions?"

Valentina checks her phone, "That's right, for the salsa."

Then a notification appears from someone that she thought she would never see again:   

Can't wait to see you again tonight - s

The jittery woman mentions, "Oh! Ingredients for dessert too, don't forget about that. Your tres leches cake is one of our favorites."

Valentina had a bad taste in her mouth and felt incredibly queasy. She felt like she was just kicked in the stomach and that's when the worrying began, once she started to piece fragmented memories together. 

"Oh shit! Anna, what day is it today?" the ballerina frantically asks.

"Thursday, the 16th," she answers.

Her eyes widen, "No no no no!" her breathing quickens as the dancer begins to have a meltdown.

"Val!" the photographer grabs her arms and gets her to face her, "Level out your breathing and once you're done, tell me what is stressing you out."