↳01. Where to Turn?

Present Day

Present Day

It wasn't uncommon in the Perez-Sanchez household for its inhabitants to be up early. However, the past few days have been different. The apartment saw its residents awake at a time when the rest of New York City was sleeping.

A twenty-seven-year-old Valentina sits on the fire escape holding a warm cup of tea. It's been a week since the announcement of his engagement.

It feels like a fever dream.

No, better yet, a nightmare.

She tried her best to not let it get to her. Her disheveled and sickly appearance says differently.

Clearly, she failed to do so.

A helpless Mateo stares at his best friend from the living room, he too unable to sleep. Residing in the guest bedroom that he used to call his own, he has been staying with Valentina during this time.

Out of worry, he twists his wedding ring. He tried his best to stay awake so he could keep an eye on her, not that she would do anything. It just hurts Mateo to see his best friend in pain, so he made his way over to window and sat down next to the heartbroken girl.

"How are you feeling?"

"I'm fine," she says, yet the tears welling up in her eyes proved otherwise.

"Valentina, I've known you long enough to know when you're lying. I know you're hurting, and I wish I can help you, but I can't if you don't tell me what's wrong," he pleads.

Valentina continues to look off in the distance, muted. The cool breeze nipping at their skin. The girl wants to go back inside where it is warm and cozy, but everything inside her home reminds her of him. Knowing that Mateo would continue to push her, she broke the silence between them.

"Did you know that humans were first created as a set? We had four arms, four legs, and a head with two faces," Valentina says, still looking out at the horizon, avoiding Mateo's gaze.

"It comes from Greek mythology. After the gods created us, they discovered that we held a lot of power in our true form. They became fearful, so Zeus split us in two. Afterwards, we lived in complete misery as we tried to find our other half."

Mateo furrows his brow. He didn't understand where this story was coming from or what the point of her saying this. He decides that it doesn't matter if she is talking.

"And when we did, something wonderful happens. We are struck from our senses by love, by a sense of belonging to one another, and by desire, and we don't want to be separated from one another, not even for a moment."

"That's where the idea of soulmates come from. The idea that there are people who finish out their lives together but still cannot say what it is they want from one another," It was at this point that Valentina gave up on her façade.

Tears began to stream down her cheeks, her shoulders shaking as she wept. Mateo takes the mug from her hands and places it on metal floor. He brings the crying girl to his chest and does his best to comfort her.

"It's my fault. It's all my fault," Valentina sobs, "I pushed him away. I was the one who ended things when I shouldn't have. Please help me get my soulmate back. I'm miserable without him."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hey there! I hope you enjoyed this first chapter.

Sorry for the sad start and the terrible ending.

I had the beginning sentence stuck in my head and just went with the flow.

Anyways, stay safe!

- deb