↳14. Falling in Love On a Saturday

"ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!"

"ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!"

Mateo rolled his eyes, "Ay por favor, you and I both know that Spelling Bee is far more superior than Falsettos."

"In your dreams Matty, Spelling Bee cannot compete with Falsettos when it comes to production, staging, lighting, and score," Val rebuttled.

It's a Saturday afternoon here in the city.

Valentina and Mateo debated over which William Finn musical was the best. They held this parley at the Pyramid Recording Studios during one of their well-need breaks from a long recording session of demos. Take-out cartons and soda cans were scattered around on the counter next to them; they slurped their noodles and fought with their chopsticks over the remaining pieces of kung pao chicken.

It was just the two of them, like old times, before Pete entered their lives. But don't take that the wrong way, unfortunately the dynamic duo hasn't been hanging out as much as they used to, even though lived in the same apartment. Mateo was drowning in deadlines as he focused on his songwriting while Valentina became more occupied with her boyfriend.

Mateo still didn't like that his best friend was with Pete. He held a grudge against him for when he put Valentina through one of her episodes and it was totally noticeable too.

Every time the comedian came over to hang out his girlfriend, Mateo gave him death glares and the cold shoulder. You could cut the tension in the room with a knife.

Valentina wanted to discuss it with the lyricist, but like always, she didn't know how to approach the subject. She just wanted them to get along with each other or have Mateo like him at least. He never liked her past partners, and it was really important to her that he liked Pete because he's different from all of them; Pete was special to her.

Shoveling a noodle into her mouth, she asked, "So, how's the Vanessa thing coming along?"

Recently Mateo came across an old flame of his from high school in the streets. He invited her to the early production of his show's workshop and while the music and lyrics have not been finalized, he decided to take his chance with her unlike from when he was a senior and she a sophomore.

"You know I have a total lack of game and I don't want to scare her off, so I'm taking it slow. I'm going to ask afterwards if she wants to catch up over a cup of coffee and pray to God that she wants to see me after that," Mateo replied.

"I like her, she's a nice gal."

"Val, you barely talked to anybody in high school much less Vanessa before you left for New York, how do you even know you like her?"

"I don't know, I just think that if you're interested in her then I would assume that you would like it that I liked her. I shouldn't have anything against her, not until I get to know her well enough to make a decision," Val shrugged, though Mateo knew that what she said had nothing to do with his potential date.