Part 20: The High Life

It took her a few days to slowly stop hurting.

She had been missing work and getting high in the comfort of her and Draco's living room- while he tended the bar and helped his father remodel the home.

He never questioned Hermione's sobriety level because he knew it was a better outlet than having her pain and stress eat away at her.

He was actually proud of his wife for letting the reigns go and becoming a bit more relaxed than normal. She seemed happier even when she wasn't high and to him- that was all he wished for her.

Walking upstairs today, Draco finds Hermione laying on the couch reading a book as nibbles on a cookie.

"Hey, Babe." He says as he goes to set his box down on the table. Sitting up a bit, she looks at him and smiles- getting up quickly.

"Hey!!" She excitedly says as she hustles around the couch and jumps on him. He holds her under her arse as she holds onto both sides of his face and kisses him passionately.

"Mm, Hi. You seem excited."

"I just missed you." She says sweetly and he sets her down- his hands sliding up and down her waist- her white dress shirt coming up with it exposing her stomach.

"I missed you too. What have you been up too?" He looks at her red dilated eyes and he knows.

"I was reading this book about the Titanic Survivors accounts. It's very chilling and tragic: but very informative."

"Well we like informative." He says softly.

"Yes, we do." Her thin fingers trace the Serpent on his chest as she bites her lip.

"What?" He looks at her suspiciously.

"Mm? Oh...nothing." She says, but he knows that she's plotting something.

"No, you're up to something." Her nose wrinkles in a mischievous way and she avoids his gaze for a bit as she slowly pushes the front of her jeans into his basketball shorts.

"I just missed you." Gripping at his shirt, she briefly looks up at him and then back down at his shirt.

"Nice try, Mrs. Malfoy." Sliding his hands down her waist and holding onto her arse, he pulls her close to his front. "I know that look..."

"What? Can't I miss my husband who's been away all day?"

"You can...but I also know that you're high."

"So?" She becomes slightly offended.

"So...when you're high- you're slightly more....aroused than you have been and I don't want to push you into a situation you may not be ready for." Searching her glazed eyes, he knows that though it's been a week since she lost the baby- that she's still in a fragile state and sex might only end up causing her more physical and emotional pain.

"I appreciate your concern, but I think I know what I can handle and what I'm ready to do." She bites and pulls away from him. Her moods are still all over the place, but he can't hold it against her.

"Darling, I'm just looking after..."

"I didn't ask you to look after me." She snaps and returns to the couch. She lays down with her book and all he can do is sigh, shake his head, and head in for a shower after the long hard day of remodeling. He shuts the door to the bathroom behind him and catches his body in the mirror.

Tiny little scars- from when he and Potter dueled their sixth year in the lavatory- riddle his body. The bullet hole in his abdomen serves as a reminder that a crazed maniac is still out there waiting for Salazar knows what. Shaking his head he starts the water- letting the warmth of it steam the mirrors in the room.