Chapter 53: Vineyard

"You have everything?" I asked Cara, bringing my hand forward to grab her suitcase. Luca was driving us all to the airport. She got the help of a crutch now that her cast was gone and I could tell but the scowl in her face that she hated it.

"I can do it." She said.

"Okay." I waited patiently close to her, just in case. She rested her weight in her good foot and lifted her suitcase, placing it inside the trunk with a groan.

"See?" She smiled at me mockingly and I rolled my eyes.

"Come here." I grabbed her face and placed a light kiss on her lips. "Change that attitude, okay? It's gonna be fun."

"I don't have an attitude." She muttered.

I raised an eyebrow.

"I'm happy." She said with a fake smile.

I laughed. "Come on, get inside."

"Ciao, bella!" Luca exclaimed as we got in. "Ready for the best weekend of your life?"

"Yes." Cara mumbled, positioning her foot up on my lap.

"I can't hear you!" Luca mimicked spongebob's captain, starting the engine.

"Oh my god, yes." Cara laughed, speaking a little louder.

Riley laughed. "How are you, Cara? Are you moving it like I told you?"

I scoffed. "Mon Dieu. You don't know her. I had to stop her yesterday."

"It didn't hurt." Cara said.

"Yeah, that was why your face was twisted in pain?" I asked her, smoothing down her dress a bit.

Cara gave me a hatred look.

"Don't pressure yourself. It needs to heal at its own pace." Riley said.

"That's what I said." I whispered so she could only hear.

"Shut up." She rested her head on her palm and looked out the window.

I knew she was in a mood not only because of her foot but also because the competition was taking place this weekend, too. I caught her several times on Instagram watching the other skaters, or reading the stats on the internet to see who they said would win.

When we got to the airport, I did help Cara with her suitcase. I didn't care if she didn't stop grumbling. I sat down beside her after placing our bags above us. My phone buzzed once again as it did for the past few weeks. My mom hadn't stopped calling me and I was getting tired of ignoring it. Cara watched me as I locked it and kept it inside my pocket again.

"Who was it?" She asked curiously.

"No one, just work." I smiled. It had to be a really fake one since Cara frowned.

"Why do you lie to me? I'm tired of people not telling me things so I don't worry." She crossed her arms over her chest. She did that a lot when she was upset. It made me smile, though.

I sighed, seeing that she wasn't looking at me. "It was my mom."

Her head turned around quickly, eyes a little wider before she frowned. "Your mom?"

"Yeah. She's been calling a lot since my birthday." I said, pulling down the blinds on my window. I had planned to sleep.

"Why don't you pick it up?"

"You know why." I told her, opening up the blinds again.

"Maybe she just wants to... apologize." Cara said cautiously.