Chapter 8

Ms. Nicki - Why didn't you tell me...?

Hey my name is Nicki I'm sure you already know that from my girls. Amber may not be my child from birth but I consider her to be my child. I've known here since she was elven years old. The day her and Jessica meet they were inseparable. I'm a nurse, and I love what I do. Just the rush of being at the hospital and saving lives makes me feel like I'm making a difference. The hours are long and hard and I miss out on a lot of time with Jessica. I figure if she sees me working hard being independent then hopefully one day she will follow in my footsteps. I refuse to be one of those women who just sit around and let a man take care of me. Yes it's nice to have that stability but I have had enough of depending on other people I depended on my mother to take care of me as a child and she got she ran off with her no good husband and left me to fend for myself.

That's actually how I meet Robert he was my shoulder to cry on whenever I needed one. I never imagined our friendship to be anything more than what it was but life happens. I feel in love with my best friend. No matter how much he has hurt me I will always love him unconditionally. Yes he is the father of my child and at one point he was the man I thought I would spend the rest of my life with. I know what you're thinking. Are Jessica and Amber aware of the fact that there sisters? The answer is no they don't.

When I first meet Amber she came home with Jessica I didn't know that she was Roberts's daughter until Robert came to pick her up from my house. I didn't know that they were here in Compton. As karma would have it I standing at my door step staring at my long lost lover the same one who I had so desperately tried to stay away from. And my God he looked so damn good at the time. Don't get me wrong he's just attractive now as he was all those years ago if not more. Age had a miraculous effect on him he really had done some good with is life. As much as I wanted to express how much I'd missed him I refrained. I could see his wedding band glowing in the sunlight like a dagger tucked in his hand. There was no denying that he'd married Trina, and they'd created an angel of a child. Despite the love I had for him I pushed my feelings aside and decided to move on. I dated whenever I could, but none of the relationships ever lasted because my heart was always longing for something that didn't belong to me.

***

I was finally pulling up to my house after a twelve hour shift. I was beat and the only thing I was interested in right now was sleep.

"Damn I get tired of seeing this boy" I smacked my lips looking in my driveway seeing what looked like Jake's truck. It never failed every time I came home he was here, and I was always kicking him out of my house. I got out of the car ready to step into the house and go off on Jessica's little fast ass. She was already in hot water about the pregnancy test I found upstairs in her bathroom.

"Hey." To my surprise it was Robert jumping out of the truck. My mouth feel to the floor and my keys tumbled down my front steps. I watched him as he walked over to me, it was that same bow legged walk that stole my heart. Robert standing their look fine as hell with a pair of true religion jeans, a white t-shirt and a leather biker jacket that clinked to his arms. Why must he be so damn sexy he's making this hard for me I haven't had the D in a good five years ever since my break up with Damion. Don't ask that's a long story the nigga was flat out crazy tried to convince me to leave my baby girl behind for his ass. I mean he had a good stroke game but that didn't compare to the joy I have of seeing my baby girl grow into a woman. After I told him we were done this nigga had the nerve to try and hit me let's just say he got his ass handed to him that day. Just know Ms. Nicki don't play. Back to where we were I got out of the car walking up to the house slowly preparing myself for Roberts's deep voice. My cat would pop at the very sound of his voice, I would be dripping by the end of this conversation. To my surprise he didn't speak he just handed me my keys and waited for me to open the door. His eyes were filled with lust, regret, and love