Chapter 3

Jessica- Are You Ever Going to Tell Me...

"Amber, are you sure you're ready for this?" I looked at Amber as she looked at everybody in the student parking lot. All eyes seemed to be on us. "Look, my mom is working a double, so we can always skip and chill at my house."

"Nah, I'm good. I'm going to have to face this at some point. Besides, my mom said she was going to call and check up on my attendance. Let's go."

I got out of the car behind her, and we both headed into the building. Amber and I had been friends since the seventh grade. My mom graduated from nursing school, and as soon as she saved up enough money, she packed up all our stuff, and we moved here to Compton. Amber was one of the most popular kids at our middle school, and we hit it off immediately. We were inseparable.

I remembered seeing her. I was little jealous of her. Despite my feelings toward her, we still became best friends. She was so confident about her size, and she carried herself well. She always wore the best labels, her hair was always perfect, and her smile was to die for. She always wore her natural hair in a silk press. It would hang down her back, or most days, she would curl her hair, and it would frame her flawless face.

While I was a big girl just like Amber, I wasn't as curvy as she was. I had nice-sized breasts, but I fell short in the butt department. I always had my hair in a sew-in. I tried to go natural, but my natural hair wasn't like anything all the natural hair gurus portrayed as "good" hair. It was always nappy, and I looked like I was a member of the Black Panther's movement. As soon as it grew out enough for me to have a leave out, I permed it, and I went back to my weaves. I always had twenty-four-inch Brazilian, and I would get it the exact same way so people would think it was my real hair.

Today, I had my hair half up and half down. My closure was braided back into a goddess braid and a ponytail with the rest of my hair framing my face with barrel curls. My edges were laid and snatched. As for my attire, that was simple. I wasn't trying to outdo anybody. I was wearing a queen Brooklyn-style crop top. The word 'queen' was printed in different tribal prints, as well as the stripes on the sleeves, and a pair of high-waisted distressed jeans. As for my shoes, I had on a pair of Jordan Retro 12s in pink, black, and gold.

"Hey, babe."

I shuddered a bit as I felt my boyfriend, Jake, wrap his hands around my waist. He picked me up and spun me around in the hallway. I giggled as he kissed my neck. As soon as he put me down, I planted a soft kiss on his lips. I'd almost completely forgotten about Amber.

"It's cool. I will see you at lunch." She walked off before I had the chance to protest.

"Hey, Amb." Jake waved at Amber, and she didn't even bother to speak; she just walked off. I hated her attitude toward him sometimes.

"Really, Amber!" I yelled after as she continued to walk to her locker.

"It's cool, babe. You know she's just jealous because she's lonely as fuck, man."

"Don't say that. She's not lonely."

He disregarded me as he placed his head in the crook of my neck. He took it upon himself to indulge on my hot spot in the middle of the hallway in front of everybody. One of the administrators caught eyes with me, and he was headed full speed in our direction.

"Babe, stop. We are at school" I giggled while pushing his perfectly sculpted chest away from me.

"Babe, I know, but you know I can't resist chocolate, especially since you left me hanging last night," he whined in my ear.

"Well, that's your problem. Don't worry; I got you later. Besides, I have something really important I have to talk to you about, and you can't focus if all you're worried about is sex." Quickly I pulled his hands away from my waist. "Good Morning, Mr. Morris," I addressed the administrator.