Volume 1 - Chapter 13: What A Cheat

Finally coming back to the inn after the previous incident, I was welcomed with a hug by Hain.

「Where did you go? I was so worried!」

「I uh, I just helped a couple of adventurers that were being attacked by a low leveled monster.」

I was scratching my head trying to take my gaze away from Hain. She might not believe me and think I'm cheating on her or something. She must be feeling skeptical. Nevertheless, she seems to have understood.

「Is that so? Hmm... I don't think a kid like Yukio would lie to me anyway.」

She put on an innocent smile. This only means she trust me!

「Y-Yeah, thanks a bunch. By the way, would you like to come later evening to the bar? The adventurers invited me to drink.」

「A bar?– Sure.」

She placed her finger on her lips for a while and decided to come along with me. I guess that's settled. But before I forgot, I told Hain I'll be taking my leave to go to the master blacksmith who said he'd forge me my spear. She on the other hand stayed and helped the work in the inn.

So I went to the north-eastern district once again to come and check out his work. While on my way, I caught sight of a magic shop that seem to have sold grimoires so I came to check before going to the blacksmith. It probably won't take that much time anyway.

I headed towards the magic shop that sold magic books, when I approached the shop, the door leading inside suddenly opened as if to welcome me in. Swallowing my saliva, I proceeded going inside.

「My my, another guest. Say young man, what element are you most suitable with?」

A tall woman almost the same size as me appeared from the shadows and asked me a question, it was a surprising experience. Nevertheless, she was one of those onee-sans like Hain, her outfit was that of a standard witch suit in blue color and she held a beautiful mahogany staff in her right hand with a blue round crystal at the tip. She sat down on a spindle chair elegantly and soundlessly like a ghost.

「Light element. But if possible, are there any wind element books you could sell?」

Strangely, her eyes seem to have sparkled interest when I mentioned "Light" and she looked at me with the same kind of amused expression.

「Light, light, light. How rare of an element that is.」

She slowly stood up from that chair and approached me soundlessly as last time. She looked at my eyes as if to read my mind, her face was so close our noses were about to touch each other.

「Did you know that, most of who the light element is given to, are either priests, paladins or the heroes?」

My eyes widened and my heart began to throb madly as I tried to swallow in her words. I started thinking of a plan just in case.

「Are you perhaps, a paladin? Or, the legendary hero?」

「I-I'm not a paladin, nor a hero.」

She looked at me closer to the point our noses were barely touching each other. Her dark purple hair smelled nice, a bit like olive. Her dark blue eyes was scary though, it felt as thought she had no thoughts at all.