Chapter 16 | Good or Bad?

Third POV

Kai was pacing towards the King's study, he'd been summoned to go there after lunchtime. It was no doubt about the recent threats on Taemin and his unborn child's life. They haven't done anything too drastic yet, however that gives more time for precautions. It wasn't the first time he had been in these meetings, the Royal Family scheduling them every two days or so.
He enters the large doors, revealing his in-laws and the two generals Lucas and Ten.

"Kai, please sit down, and we shall begin," Jonghyun gestured to Kai's seat. He sits down and the meeting starts.
"General Ten, I heard you have news on their whereabouts? What have you found?" Prince Jinki asked.
"Not much unfortunately, I only know where their main base is. However, when we went to gather information, we found payment records to who has to be one of the most skilled gunmen we've ever encountered. All we know about him is that he was the assassin that killed the Earl Kim awhile back, we've never seen even a glimpse of his face before," Ten sighed.
"Does that mean we know nothing about him?" Kai spoke.
"No, but I can't tell if that makes us more or less fortunate. We know his, how would you say it, killing style. He isn't a regular hitman, instead of a little 'hit and run' situation, he seems to take pleasure in tormenting the victim beforehand. He'll stalk them for a bit, then when he decides they're vulnerable, he'll torture them until he's bored, then he'll finish the job," General Lucas stated.
"What do we do then?" Kai speaks up, a heavy burden coming from these words, he has to protect his mate.
"The only thing we can do, is to put everyone on high alert, make sure there's no gaps he can slip through, I have no doubt that he's already in the castle," Lucas replied
"Oh, then do you have an idea on when he might go after my baby?" Key finally spoke up.
"That's the thing though, the contract they signed, said he was supposed to bring Taemin back to the main base, unharmed. Only then he'll get his money," Ten said.
"It's also the weird thing about it. Normally, unless the contract is on his terms, he'll refuse it altogether. So it makes no sense why he agreed to this one, unless he's changing his style or there's another contract in place with another reward," Ten sighed.
The room was almost dead silent, the case was slowly becoming more and more confusing. The criminal, more sly than a fox and more slippery than a snake. He's well known in the underworld, going by the name of 'The Dread'. No one has ever seen his face, not even his eyes before and now he's going for the future King of Exodus. He's basically picking wars with two countries.
"Well then, let's make sure he has no chance to fulfill his contract," Jonghyun spoke, he was dignified and calm-minded.
"Put more guards near their room, no one is to even think of taking my baby," Key's tone was adamant, strong and demanding. It left no room to question why them two were the rulers of the most powerful country in the world.
"Yes, Sir!"
And the meeting was ended.

Kai went over to Key, one thing worrying on his mind.
"King Key! Um, I have a question about Taemin,"
Key smiled, inviting him to speak his mind.
"I'm worried about him, I really want to tell him about all these meetings, but I can tell he's mentally stressed. He says he's all fine, but I can feel it through the bond that he's really troubled. He's closed himself off from me and I don't know how to get him to open up," Kai said, it was a nice feeling to get it off of his chest. His wolf has been nagging at him to talk to his mate for days on end.
"I was wondering when you'd come to me. I've heard about the hospital incident a couple days ago, I just wanted to see if you'd ask for help,"
"Huh?" Kai was confused, how did he know? And what did he mean by he was waiting for him to come to him?
"Not to worry, it was just a little test. A lot of alphas either wouldn't notice or wouldn't care about such things happening to their mate. Or they would be too prideful to ask for help. Congratulations Kai, it shows that I can trust you with my baby. Oh and as a response to that question, the solution is to whenever you see him, hug him and give him a compliment. Make sure you encourage him to eat as well," Kai raised an eyebrow, why was that going to help?
Key noticed and laughed.
"Oh my dear boy, you have much to learn. Good luck," and with that he walked away from Kai.

====================================================================

As Taemin was going to the ballroom to play the piano, he met Kai on the way. He was surprised when he was suddenly caught in a hug and got whispered a little "I just can't take my eyes off of you," by Kai. After chatting a bit with Kai they both parted ways with a small peck.
Taemin couldn't help but smile afterwards, he was on the way to meet up with Yoongi to play piano together. He'd found out that the other could play yesterday and decided that they should play together.

Yoongi was already playing by the time he got there, stopping when he saw him. Yoongi smiled.
"Come on, let's play Taemin," Taemin smiled, he was becoming more and more comfortable with him, enough to speak informally.
"Yeah, Yeah. I'm coming Yoongi."
After that they played for a while together, showing each other different pieces.
They took a break.
"So Yoongi how's it going with that prince, what's his name?"
"Hoseokie?" Yoongi's face became flustered.
"Ooooooo! What's been happening? Omg has he mated you!!!" Yoongi became as read as a ripe tomato. Taemin dramatically gasped.
"Noooo, he hasn't but he's been sending me flowers. He also said that he's gonna make our mating more magical than I can ever imagine!"
"That's lovely, but remember, if he ever hurts you, punch him in the face. Okay?" Yoongi nodded. He's learning.
Taemin stands up, dizziness overtaking his vision.

"Taemin! What's wrong?! SOMEONE HELP!!!"