8: Harley

Saph

I had the urge to skip Biology class. No one would notice I wasn't there and no one would care if I bothered to attend eitherway. I wanted to avoid him at all costs.

My mind had been travelling back to him all day yesterday. I have no idea what's going on in my brain. Why can't I stop?

Kristy was oblivious to all of this, of course. I wouldn't dare to tell her about this... whatever it is. She was practically jumping at the idea to go meet him and his friends and I was not about to give her more motivation to do so. So I kept my thoughts to myself and even if I wanted to voice them, I wouldn't know how or what to say to explain the involuntary fascination my brain seems to have developed on its own about a guy singing and playing the guitar.

Why was he so special? Half the male population can do these two things. Why was I so stuck on him?

Blake plays the guitar. I've seen him strum a cherry red electric guitar on the couch a couple of times and yet there I was, thinking about someone who was not my boyfriend.

Kristy's words as she was about to drive away yesterday afternoon rang in my ears.

Talk to him, go make friends with him. She scolded me like like I was six, about to start my first day of school and she was my anxious mum, dropping me off and hoping I don't end up having lunch on my own. The first thing I did was snap back at her, saying I don't need anyone and especially not a person like him and she didn't fail to remind me yet again to not judge someone based solely on their appearance.

She was right. I shouldn't do that. Not when I've been a victim of that since I can remember. Being the rich couple's kid was not as fun as someone would think. I was always brushed off as the preppy, rich little brat, who had everything handed to her and would treat you like shit, so just stay away. I did everything to shed that image, but nothing was working so I switched tactics.

I died my hair lime green about a year ago. Then I decided that getting some piercings and a couple of tattoos were what I needed to complete the look. I met Blake when I got my eyebrow pierced, and he thought it would be a good idea to 'take me under his wing' as he had put it.

All of these changes came with the added bonus of pissing my parents off, so I kept going. I changed my hair colour three times since then, going through a bright yellow phase, then adding turquoise blue to the roots before I finally settled to the navy blue my hair was now. I had my ears pierced in a few places already, but that didn't stop me from adding to it. Good thing money was not a barrier for me.

Tattoos always fascinated me and I had a clear plan of what I wanted to get done. Even though I was technically not allowed to get a tattoo, Blake knew a tattoo artist who would do it, of course for a certain price tag. I got the Deathly Hallows symbol tattooed on my right shoulder blade, a tattoo Blake didn't understand the meaning behind, but I was too embarrassed to admit how much of a nerd I actually was. Instead, I told him it was just a random design I found online.

My parents were fully aware of everything I had done. I didn't really bother to keep any secrets, because that was partly the reason why I did everything in the first place. It was a test to see how much they would actually care, but aside from the initial shock and clear annoyance on their faces, they didn't seem to care any further. I shouldn't be surprised though.