ch 2: hemmo1996 (updated)

Australia

The rental car stopped at a remote little home that only had 2 little houses next to it. It was so much different from New York but im sure an idiot could've expected that. I was already dreading school knowing it would be a living nightmare since I knew absolutely no one.

Of course we did have a backyard which I had only seen in the suburbs of NY. For me this was exciting so I rushed to dump my bags in my room as the moving truck wouldn't be here for a few hours. Quickly I rushed to the backyard which even had a white picket fence like you see in those family movies.

The sun beamed on my skin as I laid down on the ground. It was cloudy but the sun still found it's way towards me. Maybe this wasn't so bad, till I heard a voice.

"Hi, sorry if I'm interrupting."

He climb down the side of the fence gracefully.

"Um hello?"
"Nice to meet you I'm Luke ."

He had a thick Australian accent which made me smile a little.

"Oh I'm Alison. I'm not sure if you understand the point of a privacy fence."

"You're a funny one. My mum wanted me to greet you guys but incase ya didn't know I don't do too well talking with adults."

"Understandable I guess."
"So you're from America, right?"
"Yeah? is there something wrong with that?"
"No, I just think American accents are funny."

"So are Australian accents so I guess we're even."
"Ya got me there. G'day mate, cook the shrimp on the barbie, you stay here whilst I get my kangaroo."

His sarcasm made me laugh because well I'd never met someone more sarcastic than me.

"Do you really see kangaroos?"
"It's actually not as common as people make it seem but in a blue moon yes."
"They're my dads favorite animal I've always wanted to see one."
"Hey maybe while you and your dad are here you'll see one."

My smile turned to a frown and Luke's to a confused smile.

"Actually it's just my mom and me."
"Oh I didn't know I'm so sorry like really sor-"

It was cute watching him trip over his own words. "Hey hey it's okay I promise."

I gave him a slight smile as an indication I really was fine.

"Urm well how would you like it if we went to go look for a kangaroo?"
"Right now?"
"No time like the present, darling."

He ushered me over to the fence gate. The people here seemed nice enough.
I told my mom I was leaving for a bit to go sight seeing. We walked down the gravel filled road passing my copious amouts of plants I'd never even seen before.

"So how long have you lived here?" I asked.
"For my whole life. Where did you use to live?"
"New York."
"I've always wanted to go there, especially Madison Square Garden."
"Yeah it's really cool there."

Things seem to be getting kind of awkward. I was thinking of going back to my place.

"What school are you going to?"
"The one a couple of minutes from here."
"Oh that's cool I go to that one too so I can show you around. That is if you want me to"
"Yeah I'd like that, thanks luke."

"Well I'm not sure any kangies are out today. should let you go you? I'm sure you probably have some unpacking to do."
"Yeah, do you maybe want to help?"
"A bit of community service can't hurt."

Playfully I hit him in the arm and we raced back to my house. I hadn't realized how far we'd walked. It was like time just flew when I was talking to Luke. Maybe I'm making my first friend. Lilly and Alex we're definitely going to hear about him. We waited around for the moving truck to come by and we grabbed as many boxes as we could carry.

I was busy with unpacking some clothes until luke let out a snicker from behind me.

"What?"
"You have a My Little Pony toys?"
"Shut up it was from when I was a little kid."
"Okay," he said with a laugh.
"It is really!"
"I believe you." He put his hands up in defense while trying his best to stop laughing.
"Just give it to me."

Swiftly I snatched it from his hand and chucked it in a box. Again as we were putting stuff away until I heard him again.

"Jesus what did you find now?"
"Wow."
"What?"

Luke was holding up some of my records my dad use to listen to.

"You like some pretty sick bands."
"Yeah do you listen to any too?"
"Yeah, almost all of 'em. Can you play?" he asked pointing towards my old acoustic guitar.

"I guess but I don't know if I'm any good."
"I'll be the judge, play for me."
"Okay I guess."

A box with other guitar supplies had my tuner in it so I quickly tuned the beat up old guitar. I played Just The Way You Are, a song that Alex taught me years ago. Luke seem mesmerized by my playing and out of the corner of my eye I saw him softly singing the lyrics. Gradually he became louder, plastered on my face was a huge smile. His voice it was great, no it was more than great it was amazing.

"Luke you're great"
"Nah not really," he began to blush.
"Yeah really your voice is amazing."
"You think so?"
"I know so."

"It doesn't matter no one will ever really hear me sing besides my family and you."
"You have to let people hear your voice!"
"I know I want to but how?"
"YouTube! You should start a channel. Trust me plenty of people do it. Have you heard of Justin Bieber?"
"What's that?"

"Nevermind, anyways you can create a channel and you can do covers."
"I'm not sure Alison that seems kinda embarrassing."
"Ugh come on. They had a computer in upstairs so I quickly logged on. Okay put in your email and all that jazz."

I handed him the mouse then he began typing furiously.

"Okay got it."
"Now create a username."
"Um hmm. Ah I know!"

"Hemmo1996?"
"Sounds cool I know. Well now that the channel's running what do we do now?"
"Let's post something."
"Sure but what?"
"I'll play guitar and you sing the song we just did."
"Duh why didn't I think of that."
"Gotta be quick, Lucas."

It took a while for us to figure it all out but we did. To my surprise thiw was actually really fun. I wonder if anyone will watch?