Blood Brothers

Mystic Falls 1864

Mystic Falls 1864

Stefan Salvatore hid in the trees with his brother as the townspeople went around capturing vampires.

"We have to get to the church. They're waiting." He heard one of the men say.

Stefan turned to his crouching brother next to him. "Circle around that way." He directed and pointed in the opposite direction. "I'll distract them. Go!"

Damon nodded and ran off and Stefan stepped out of the shadows to face the group of men. "Over here! There's another one! Quick! Help me!"

One of the men stepped forward quickly as the leader. "Arm yourselves." He warned the other men before walking over towards Stefan.

When Stefan saw that most of the men were following him he began walking away from the carriage. He picked up his speed until he was full on running. Then he quickly ducked behind a tree, the rest of the men fooled into thinking he was still ahead of them.

Stefan found his way back to the carriage to see Damon grabbing keys out of the guard's pocket. Damon fished the keys out and fumbled with them towards the carriage.

The younger Salvatore watched anxiously. "We don't have long." He knew that before long the other men would be returning to the carriage.

Damon finally got the door open and was grabbing onto stray limbs, searching for the brunette vampire. "Katherine. Katherine."

"I found her." Stefan said after a few seconds of searching. Damon was by his side in a second, helping to pull the vampire out of the tangle of bodies. Stefan untied her hands from behind her as Damon removed the muzzle that covered her mouth. "We're going to get you out of here." He said reassuringly before turning back to his brother. "Damon, we have to hurry."

Before he could answer Stefan heard two gunshots and saw his brother fall to the ground. Stefan immediately rushed over to his brother. He checked his pulse and realized that there was nothing there. "No! No, Damon." Stefan heard the men getting closer and rushed to grab the unconscious guard's gun.

As soon as the Salvatore stood on wobbly legs he heard another gun shot and felt a sharp pain in his stomach. He fell to the ground, the gun falling from his hand. The last thing he saw before he succumbed to the darkness was Katherine being shoved back into the carriage.

~~~
Salvatore Boarding House: Present Day

Damon closed the cellar door behind himself and then watched Elena as she watched Stefan through the bars.

"It's so hard to see him locked up like this." Elena said, still watching his younger brother. "There must have been another way."

Damon rolled his eyes with a sigh. "I couldn't have him running around chewing on people while the town was looking for vampires, now, could I?"