chapter seventeen

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN.
( BREAK DOWN... )

     When Kalia woke up, it was still gloomy but she wasn't in the forest anymore. She was in the hospital wing. She could smell the familiar cleaner that Madam Pomfrey used and her eyes blinked open. Sirius was pacing by her bed. His arms were crossed over his chest, his fingers tapping his forearm. Kalia watched him for a moment before closing her eyes. A soft sigh escaping her lips, trying to make it quiet, almost inaudible.

     The doors to the hospital wing opened again and she heard voices. She recognised them as Sirius, Madam Pomfrey, James and Remus. They were all talking in hushed voices but Kalia knew her name had been thrown around. Her eyes reopening to see Sirius staring at Remus. He was being supported inside and he seemed to be in pain. Kalia didn't look to him. She just stared at the ceiling. Her arm aching, her head throbbing.

     She didn't know what she had landed in but that seemed to prevent more damage from being inflicted but by this point she had enough scars to last a lifetime. Scars that everyone could see. She had no jumper on, just her white short-sleeved shirt. That made her squeeze her eyes shut, tears quickly welling up. They could see and she hated it. She shouldn't have thrown her cloak away. It was a stupid idea.

     "I know you're awake," Sirius said. His voice closer now and hushed. Kalia opened her eyes and rolled over onto her side to look at him. She pulled the covers of the bed over her hands, hiding her wrists. Sirius then sat down on the chair and pulled himself closer to her. The sun was beginning to rise and the rays were shining across Sirius' face, "It's just you and me. You don't have to hide them," He said gently, reaching out. Kalia let him pull the covers back but she still tried her best to hide them, "Madam Pomfrey saw. She didn't say a word," Sirius added. Kalia nodded and turned her head into the pillow. She felt so stupid. She hadn't even managed to turn into an Animagus.

     "I'm sorry. I did not think. I was not thinking. I should not have gone out," Kalia said as she stared down at the floor. Sirius nodded, he agreed. He knew that she shouldn't have gone out but he couldn't be totally blunt. She had been through enough and he wanted to at least be there for her in some capacity.

     "It's fine. You know now. Why weren't you transformed? You've never came without being a deer," Sirius responded. Kalia shrugged and felt a tear fall across her nose. She quickly scrubbed it away and sighed, taking a deep breath. The stone floor of the wing turning blurry and his pants turning into a mess of blue.

     "I do not know. I just was hoping I could be there for him like he is for me. I did not think he would already be like that and then I stepped out and he attacked me so fast," Kalia muttered. Her tears falling quickly now as she gripped the covers again, pulling them up. Gathering herself, she cleared her throat and sent him a weary smile, "Sorry," She muttered. Sirius shook his head and moved to sit down on the edge of the bed. He then guided her to sit up, being gentle with her.