chapter twenty-two

CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO( LETTER TO HIM

CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO
( LETTER TO HIM.. )

     The long night of housing the Lestrange family was finally over and Kalia had escaped to her room. After tossing and turning for an hour unable to sleep, she had crawled out of bed. She could feel the bruises on her skin and they felt like they were everywhere. Crawling along her skin as she pulled her nightgown off.

     She grabbed the matches and lit the candles in her room. Giving the place a faint glow as she pulled her nightgown over her head. It was only then that she could see the extent to her bruises. It was strange how easily her skin had bruised. Usually she was resistant but it seemed that every touch has left her with some mark.

     Her thighs had a couple of finger marks pressed into them still. Her forearm had fingertip sized bruises pressed in the pattern of a hand. The other bruises on her arm were still evident and her face was now beginning to bruise. Her mother had decided that now Rabastan had left, it was a fitting time to show her what would happen if she was disobedient.

     Her back still stung from the hits and her face looked worse for wear. There was no nosebleed but her face was bruising. It would look ugly and she just hoped that it would heal before they returned to school. She wasn't sure what she would do otherwise. The embarrassment would be overbearing and it would be hard to cover up.

     None of her marks were easy to cover up and as she stared at her skin, her gut twisted in anxiety. She wanted to speak to Remus, she still needed to send that letter of apology. But she didn't. She had been so wrapped up in her world that she hadn't got the chance. Maybe now was the best time, she could at least send it in the dead of night without any fear of someone seeing her.

     But before she could get across the room to begin, the door opened. The concerned face of Emmeline popped her head in and Kalia scrambled for the nightgown. She pulled it over her head and turned to face her aunt with a fake smile on her lips. Her arms resting at her sides as she glanced to make sure most of the bruises were covered.

     "I brought you chamomile tea. I heard you moving about," Emmeline said as she nudged the door open with her hip. Then she brought in the tray and sat next to the tea was a box of sherbet lemons. Kalia smiled at that and walked over, muttering a soft thank you. Her hands wrapped around the tea cup and she lifted it to her lips.

     Softly blowing along the surface, she took in the smell. A soft sigh escaping her lips as she tried to calm down. Emmeline watched her for a moment and then glanced at the door. It was still ajar so Emmeline closed it with a soft click. The older woman still in the room. Kalia then glanced down at her arm, her gaze flicking over the bruises. She then let them settle back onto the floor.

     "Did Rabastan hurt you today?" Emmeline asked. Kalia looked up and shrugged. It wasn't anything entirely noticeable. Not really but he had hurt her. It was something she would have to get used to. She was marrying him after all. It would be a normal thing for her as she grew older.