If I Were a Rich Man

December 20

Going to the student matinee was the best part of Finals' Week (the second best part was finishing my ceramics projects with time to spare). It was Wednesday and my brain felt compressed, squashed, and gutted from too many review sessions and practice exams. I'd studied over the weekend with my friends. We had shared a lot of memes about finals, the stress of it all, and our teachers.

It was nice to finally get a brain break. The student matinee started thirty minutes into first block (so I did very little aside from looking over a couple essays). Our essay on Pride and Prejudice was due on Friday and Odin wanted us to practice peer-reviewing. "This is a skill that you'll practice a lot in college," he said.

I felt like teachers always said that. In elementary school we'd been told we needed to have perfect spelling in middle school, but Spellcheck took care of that. Then in middle school, we'd bern told that our high school teachers would expect our essays to be five paragraphs, each one three to five sentences. That was a lie; many essays I wrote now had paragraphs well over five sentences.

When the intercom came on and announced that juniors and seniors who had tickets to the student matinee, could go, I was relieved. I needed a brain break. Jack and the other actors hadn't been in classes this morning. He'd be out of classes most of the day since there would be a second showing for freshman and sophomores.

I met Alex outside the auditorium. He was looking very dapper today with a green vest over a pink sweater. We found a seat together about five rows back, close enough that we could see and hear the play well, but not too close. "How are your classes going today?" I asked.

     Alex stuck out his tongue. "I can't wait for Winter Break."

     "Only two more days after today," TJ reminded us.

     Alex sighed. "I wish it was Friday already."

     The lights in the auditorium began to dim. We stopped talking and everywhere, voices turned to whispers. The whispers themselves faded as the curtains opened up. There was a spotlight on an actor standing on top of a "roof." They played a solo on the fiddle, their bow moving astonishingly fast. When they finished, the curtains closed. There was the sound of things being posted around and a minute later, the curtains unfolded.

       The lead actor who played Tevye came out and gave an opening monologue. I quickly became lost in the shoe. It was a musical with a lot of wit, jokes, and emotions. The costuming was historically accurate and the props and hand-painted backgrounds worked seamlessly. My friends and I cheered when Jack first came onstage dressed as Perchik. When the musical ended, and the cast came out to bow, we gave them a standing ovation. "You're Broadway Material!" Halfborn shouted.

The curtains closed and the intercom came on to inform teachers that we'd now be returning to classes. By the time we got to Biology, it was almost over. Mimir had given up on teaching us and so he just let us "study." This studying was less heavy of flashcards and more heavy on looking up weird songs and memes to remember biological processes.

Once Biology was over, we had lunch. We found a table near the far left end of the cafeteria. We didn't always sit at the same table like some of the cliques, but we were usually relegated to the less sought after, peripheral spots. "I still cannot believe you're letting us do a longboat contest," Halfborn told me.

     I shrugged. "It's my father's boats — not mine."

      "Any other plans this Winter Break besides the longboat contest?" TJ asked us.

      "I hope it snows," Halfborn said. "Then, we can go sledding."

    Mallory rolled her eyes. "We live in Boston; of course it will snow."

     "I'm hoping to work on prototypes for my winter collection," Blitzen admitted. "I'm designing winter coats, pants, and hats with SPF."

     "Prototypes?" TJ asked. "So you've already sketched them."

     "More or less," Blitzen said.

       "Blitzen's designs are really sleek," Halfborn signed.

     "I bet so," I signed back.

      Blitzen smiled in pleasure. "I'm hoping to use them for my portfolio to get into design school."

    "Eighteen years old and you're already making innovative projects," I said. "Meanwhile, I am watching British television shows and trying to learn to drink tea with my pinky stick out."

    "I never imagined you drinking tea," TJ said.

      "That's because he doesn't," Alex said.

       I turned to my boyfriend and pouted. "Why'd you expose me like that?"

    He stuck out his tongue. "You're the one who sends me Snaps of his morning energy drinks."

     "Busted," Halfborn and Mallory said at once.

    Sam was shaking her head as if she couldn't believe she put up with our immaturity. "Maybe you should try tea, Magnus. I like it."

I shrugged. "Maybe I should."

"Apple cinnamon is the best," Halfborn said. "I have it every night before I go to sleep."

"Whatever you say," Alex said. "Nothing beats my grandfather's hot chocolate."

"Hot chocolate used to only be consumed by warriors and priests and kingly people," I said. "Right?"

"Yes," Alex said. "But my father would say we fit into that category anyway."

"Man, if I were a rich man," Halfborn said, "I would have my own longboat like your father does, Magnus. Then, I'd use the money to buy Viking-style clothing — none of that fake horned helmet stuff, but real stuff. Then, I'd use the leftover money to pay to bring along Mallory and take her to see Ireland. We'd go on trips there all the time. With the extra money, I'd start a charity to help fight against infant mortality and build hospitals and if I had money leftover, I'd use it to end all wars and replace them with war games wherein each country had mock battles. It would be great entertainment."

"Wow, you've really thought this through," I remarked.

"He probably came up with it all while he was talking," Mallory said.

Halfborn met her smile. "Bingo."

"Someone make Halfborn the wealthiest man alive," Blitzen said.

Alex grinned. "I can hand over some of my father's credit card numbers for you."

I high-fived him and then he snickered. "Just joking."

"I'm pretty sure your father isn't the richest man alive anyway," I replied.

     "Fair point," Alex said.

     "Actually, he isn't," I continued. "I am."

    "Really? Sam asked. "And what's the form of your wealth Magnus?"

     I turned to Alex. "My boyfriend."

    Alex smiled and I thought that, yes, this was worth more than all the longboats in the world.