Putting Romeo to Shame

February 14

Valentine's Day was on a Saturday and though I usually went over to my father then, I was going to see him tomorrow instead. Today, I was going to put Romeo to shame. That wouldn't be hard because he's married a thirteen year old girl he barely knew. Plus, the communication in their relationship frankly sucked; if I saw Alex appearing as if she were dead, I'd go to the doctor and then the mortician for a second opinion before stabbing myself.

      These happy thoughts flitted through my mind as I got out of bed. I used the restroom, put on some deodorant, and looked through my closet for an outfit. It was going to be cold today, so I chose a pair of thick grey jeans and a cream-colored sweater. Good thing I didn't wear a vest over it or I'd look too much like my uncles for my liking.

     I ate a quick breakfast and checked my phone. Alex hadn't texted me, which probably meant she was still asleep. Good. I'd spent the last two weeks trying to pick out a gift for her and I still had nothing. "How was shopping last night?" my mother asked me as I loaded the dishwasher.

    I groaned. "Still nothing."

     My mother blinked at me sympathetically. "Why not get her flowers, then?"

    "I don't know if Alex will like flowers," I said, "and if I ask her, she'll know I have not gotten her anything yet."

     My mother blinked. "Magnus, do you know what your father gave me on Valentine's Day?"

     "Uh, no," I said.

     My mother smiled. "A stick."

      I gaped at her. "A huge stick," she continued, "wrapped in aluminum foil. He had found it and polished it himself. I hiked with it for the next twelve years."

    I blinked, suddenly remembering the tall, smooth hiking stick she'd had for as long as I could remember. "Dad gave that to you?" I asked.

    My mother nodded and smiled. "Sometimes, it's just the fact you give them something at all that matters. A gift does not have to be perfect, but it does need to show the love you feel for a person."

         I blinked, thinking of how Alex loved making pottery. "You have an idea," my mother guessed.

     "Yes," I said. "Can I take your car to the crafting store?"

    My mother nodded. "The keys are on in the living room on the side table."

   I used my socks to skate across the wooden floors of the kitchen and living room. I stopped on the rug laid out before our sofa; to the side of it was a table carved from maple wood. On top of it lay my mother's keys. I picked them up and pocketed them.

      Five minutes later, I was starting the car engine. The crafting store was a fifteen minute drive away. I was not sure exactly what I'd get yet, but I decided something to do with pottery. I parked the car, locked it, and went on into the store. It was fairly empty and the only sounds were the sighs of the single cashier and the 80s music playing on the radio. I grabbed a basket and walked through the aisles, my eyes peeled for anything Alex-worthy.

        It was the green color that caught my eye first. Alex loved green, but she loved this shade of light green the best. I drew closer and realized the green apron was embroidered with twisting snakes and thorny roses as pink as the dawn sky. I smiled and lifted the apron off of the shelf and into my basket; this shopping trip, I decided, had been successful.

***

     Alex and I agreed to meet up at the mall. I'd wrapped the apron and I was now nervously twiddling my thumbs as I waited for Alex to arrive. Almost all of the stores had signs for Valentine's Day sales and love songs were blasting on the radio. Everywhere I saw couples chatting, walking, smiling, and arguing. I even saw one couple riding a Segway together. "Romantic, right?"

   I nearly jumped out of my seat and then smiled with relief when I realized it was Alex. I could tell it was a masculine day for him. His hair had grown out recently and the brown roots peeked out from underneath the faded green ends. His eyes appraised me and my package. "Is it Christmas?" he asked.

    I looked at the Santa Claus wrapping paper I'd used and blushed. "It was all I had at home,"

     Alex sat down on the bench beside me. "I like it," he said. "I got you something too."

    He pulled out a gift bag filled with bright orange tissue. "Open yours first," I said.

Alex smiled and slowly unwrapped the present. His face lit up as he saw the apron. "Magnus, it's beautiful! Much cleaner than my old apron, though I'm sure it will be dirty in no time!"

I didn't know what to make of it and Alex laughed. "I'm teasing you, Magnus. Dirty aprons are good; they mean you've been working hard. Now, it's your turn."

Alex handed me the gift bag and I pulled out a pair of socks emblazed with mangoes and cheese. "In honor of your name," Alex said.

I laughed. Alex had also gotten me a box of chocolates. I opened them up and we ate them together, chatting and people watching. We discussed what we thought the fate of everyone we saw would be if they'd lived in Viking times. "That one would be a berserker," Alex declared.

"The tall guy with broad shoulders?" I asked, thinking much the same.

Alex shook his head. "No, the shorter girl beside him."

I laughed. "She looks like a real-life doll."

Alex laughed. "Attractive people are dangerous Magnus."

I felt my face heat up. "I never said anything about her. I think you're attractive."

    Alex looked a little embarrassed and then regained his composure. "I was just teasing with you. It's just, people underestimate us short people. We have fire in our veins."

     Looking at my wonderful boyfriend, I could believe that.