Just Like Fido

February 23

    Utgard-Loki was expelled and awaiting his sentencing. He ended up transferring to an alternative school after his parents paid his bail. He had just turned eighteen on Saturday, but he would probably be tried as a juvenile since the actual incident took place before he was of age. He was a bully, but I hoped he was not sent to jail; what he done was wrong, but he still had time to turn his life over.

    By Monday, more details about the incident emerged. No one has been hurt and in fact, the gun had gone off because Utgard-Loki had accidentally dropped his backpack. One of his friends (who was also expelled) had brought a gun to school and realizing it was a mistake, tried to smuggle it out.

      "Course that's just bad luck," Halfborn said over lunch.

     "Bad luck?" Mallory repeated. "There was a gun that went off. Someone could have been hurt!"

     "But they weren't attacking anyone," Halfborn argued.

     "Still, someone could have been killed," I put in. "It happens. You hear it in the news every so often. I'd hate it to happen to one of us."

       Halfborn nodded. "I heard the trial is in a month."

     "Do you think it will take place or will Utgard-Loki plead guilty before then?" Sam asked.

     "Why would he plead guilty?" Alex asked.

       "To get a lower sentence," Sam answered. "He knows he's guilty. Admitting it will make life easier for everyone."

      Alex nodded slowly. "I can see him doing that to get out of trouble."

     "Speaking of trouble, how do you think he'll be punished?" Jack asked.

      "I hope it's not prison," I said firmly.

    Everyone turned to me in surprise. "But if anyone deserves prison it's Utgard-Loki," TJ said. "He endangered lives. Besides, he's a bully."

     "Prison could be good for him," I admitted, "but more than likely, it will hurt him. Think about it: he'd be surrounded by people worse than him. He could be beaten and bruised there or perhaps he'd join a prison gang."

      "A prison gang?" Jack asked. "How are there gangs in prison?"

   I shrugged. "Some of them are seriously powerful and kill people and stuff."

    "How?" Jack asked. "They're locked up."

      "They get their partners or lawyers to do it," I said.

     "That is messed up," Halfborn said.

"Yeah," Jack agreed. "Where did you learn this Magnus?"

"Me of course," Alex said. "I'm trying to bring him over to the dark side. Get him to join a gang. It's hopeless though; he's such a goody two-shoes his idea of a gang name is 'Fluffy Spotted Rabbits.'"

     "That's not true!" I protested. "I've gotten in plenty of trouble. I took OSS for you guys."

      "And you were the only one who did not deserve it," Halfborn replied. "Deny it all you want, but you're no Ted Bundy."

     My friends laughed and I joined in. "You're right," I said, waving a pita chip at Halfborn. "I'm not a cereal killer; I always ask my Cheerios for permission before I eat them."

    This caused my friends to guffaw more. "This is why I like you," Alex said once he'd stopped laughing. "You're so sweet and everything, but you act like a bad boy."

Mallory nodded. "I imagine dating Magnus would be like dating a bad boy, but all of the good stuff and none of the bad parts."

"You've thought about dating Magnus?" Halfborn asked.

Sam warded off the ensuing fight by voicing her opinion. "Bad boys are overrated."

"Yeah, you prefer fine falafel fryers," Blitzen said, wriggling his eyebrows.

Sam groaned and adjusted her headscarf. Hearthstone signed something about being attracted to creative people. "Well you guys all know my type," Jack said.

"Riptide," I finished.

Jack was staring dreamily up at the ceiling as if he could see his girlfriend's face instead of banners for the Blood Drive next week. "Riptide," Jack said. "The most beautiful girl in the world. She had luminous eyes and her hair is shiny and perfect and the way she lands after a pirouette and how she always has some hair falling out of her bun. . ."

    He trailed off. "I see the resident poet has lost his ability to wax perfection about his muse," Alex teased.

Jack grinned. "Riptide has that ability."

"How long have you guys been together now?" I asked.

Jack furrowed his brow. "Five or six months? I dunno, but it's been amazing. I cannot wait to go to prom with her."

"Oh my, prom is in just a couple months," Halfborn said.

TJ nodded. "We're all going to meet up, right?"

"I can get us an order at Fadlan's Falafels beforehand," Sam said.

Sam laughed at the expression on my face. "Magnus, you'd better stop with that moony expression or Alex will be jealous."

"Perfect!" Halfborn said. "That's a great idea for our next fanfic, TJ."

TJ nodded. "We'll call it Fried Love (a Magnafel Fanfic)."

     "Magnafel?" I echoed. "What's that supposed to be?"

    "You and a falafel," Halfborn said in a tone as if I'd asked him what 1+1 is.

      "Luckily for Magnus," Alex said. "I approve of his falafel obsession."

     "It's not an obsession—" I started.

      "It's really good for his socialization," Alex finished, a mischievous grin on his face.

   I facepalmed. "Why are you talking about me like I'm a rescue dog?"

     My friends exchanged glances. "That's a perfect analogy," Blitzen commented.

     Almost as good as the empty cup one, Hearthstone signed. "You really are like a rescue dog," TJ agreed. "You're welcoming and lovable."

     "Excuse me?" I said. "Have you met me?"

      "Plus, you're always seeking approval," Mallory added.

     "I never seek approval," I insisted.

      "And you think people will hurt you because that's what you're used to," Halfborn added.

     Alex poked me in the side. "Plus, you're funny and almost as cute as a puppy."

    "Almost as cute?" I echoed.

    Alex poked me again. "Alright, maybe a teeny bit cuter."

    The bell rang and for a moment, I felt like wagging my tail. Alas, I was a human and not a rescue dog, so I merely barked and let my friends laugh; I was so lucky to have them.