The Esteemed Prologue

February 5

I dressed to Blitzen's directive on Friday. I was a bit self-conscious, but at least I didn't have to wear the accordion-style collar yet (Blitzen said he would have one ready by the time class started). At least the outfit was comfy with the light gray leggings, slate-gray leg warmers, and long-sleeves grey tunic. The fabrics were all soft and though the leggings fit nicely, nothing was tight.

I wasn't sure what shoes Shakespearean actors wore, so I put on a pair of black Oxfords. They were my nicest pair of shoes (meaning I wore them 2-3 times a year). My mother dropped me off a little later than usual, but that was okay because it was Friday and we had a late start.

Thor was supervising the crowded cafeteria when I walked in. It was as loud as a zoo. I looked around for my friends and found Blitzen speaking with Halfborn about the importance of clothing in film. "I don't see why they have to spend so much time planning outfits," Halfborn grumbled. "There are even Oscars given for makeup and clothing!"

     "Yes, because it's a skill," Blitzen said. "Costuming might seem superficial to you, but that's only because you don't recognize it's significance. Fashion can be used to indicate social class, political views, and religious affiliation among other things. Not caring about fashion itself is a statement. Clothes might tell you something about a person, but what they tell you may not be true because of incorrect perceptions of the wearer trying to convey something."

"Can you give an example?" Halfborn asked.

"Well, you might see someone who always has their nails done, hair styled, and nice clothes on and think they're rich," Blitzen said. "That could be the case, but perhaps their clothes are secondhand and they do their hair and names at home because they're trying to look more affluent so they won't be judged for being poor. Another example is how the Afro has become a sort of political symbol, though not everyone who has an Afro does so for political reasons."

"Okay, I got to admit that's cool," Halfborn said.

"It's like how you always wear your hair long and you grew out a beard as soon as you could," Mallory said. "You do that to pay homage to your cultural heritage."

"I found out that a common wedding gift for Norse brides was a cat," TJ said, "so that's what I'm getting you."

"I'll get them a longboat then," I said. "Just kidding, it will probably be a model one."

Mallory made a face. "Why are we talking about marriage? We're still in high school. That stuff is ages off. Come on, let's practice the play."

     Blitzen scanned my outfit. "Magnus, you're looking good, but this collar will make you look great."

    He proceeded to add the accordion-style collar (made of paper) around my neck. It felt as fashionable as it sounds. "Why are you dressed up?" Halfborn asked.

      "Extra credit," I replied.

      "Oh yeah," Halfborn said.

       Mallory just facepalmed.

"How do you guys like my outfit?" Jack asked.

       He was wearing a silvery pantsuit with flowy sleeves and wide-legged pants. "You look dashing," Mallory said.

       "Like a true ray of moonlight," I added.

       TJ and Sam had also dressed up. TJ was wearing a shirt that made him look like a stone wall and he had sewn little green leaves of "ivy" onto it. Sam was dressed in mustard yellow with a warm brown hijab. "I can roar for special effects," she said.

        Mallory was wearing a blouse and leggings, while Halfborn was wearing jeans and a t-shirt that read "My Other Ride is a Longboat." We went over the script a few times. It was hard to practice in the cafeteria since it was so loud (the people at the table next to us were yelling over each over about whether the ocean is a soup or not). When the early bell finally rung, Alex squeezed my hand for luck and we went our separate ways to class.

We were not the first group to present, but we were the second. Our portion was not the entirety of Act V Scene I of A Midsummer Night's Dream, but rather began with the play. I, the esteemed prologue, was the first to speak. "If we offend, it is with our goodwill," I began.

    I finished the prologue and my friends made the rude remarks of the "audience." Then, I had to speak again. I was feeling like this casting was really unfair since I was doing so much talking. Like, isn't the point of the prologue to be only at the beginning? Why wasn't the part called "the narrator" of that was what I was doing?

      I got some relief when TJ gave the wall speech. It was pretty funny and a few people laughed. Then, the main action began with Pyramus and Thisbe speaking through the wall and deciding to meet in secret. Unfortunately, the plan went awry because Thisbe got there first and the lion chased her. Sam gave a good roar and Mallory dropped the blanket Halfborn had given her to function as a cloak.

     Then Halfborn (as Pyramus) came onstage and saw the blanket. Thinking Thisbe was dead, he stabbed himself and in true Shakespearean fashion declared, "Now I am dead" before rambling on and then "dying."

    Mallory (as Thisbe) returned onstage and seeing her boyfriend "dead" also stabbed her self. Then, Halfborn (now as Bottom who played Pyramus) asked if the epilogue should begin. "NOO!" Jack (playing Theseus' role) said.

     The class laughed at that and then applauded us. "I really like the costuming," Odin said. "I think it added a nice touch, as well as your use of props."

     I sat down feeling pretty good about the experience. There was just one little thing. I didn't like the collar. I took off the paper creation and handed it back to Blitzen who just smiled and threw it in the recycling bin. So was the end of my career in acting.